About the Site Feedback / Suggestions category

Discussion about this site, its organization, how it works, and how we can improve it.

I find config always wanting to update when i start the computer for the day.

could you put a button on the shut down menu for shut down, but if there is an update, install that first.

Hi Drakekoefoed,

Welcome to our forums.

I am not sure I understand what you suggest. If you connect to the site, it is your browser that fetches the content, including the button we would present “to shut it down”. Not loading pages automatically is a browser setting, we can’t do much about it on our end.

I mean the menu when I shut the system down. in the upper right corner of the screen, when you click on the circle with the vertical bar through the top half. when you choose to restart or shut down, there would be an option to shut down but look for updates first. so it would look for updates, if none found, shut down. if updates are found, download, install, then shut down.

Now I get it. Which distribution are you using, and which version of it?

18.4 bionic beaver. I am using gnome too, the one that came with it.

the gnome interface is much better than the 1999 red hat last I ran linux before this. The command line makes me tear my hair out typing these long paths and not even being able to cut and paste to it.

In the dos days, i had a batch directory with a lot in it. I would, for example, assemble example.asm by typing “a example” and it would assemble it and put it on a memory drive for testing. When I went to the old linux, I had scripts like that. I know that capability is in there, but i find it very hard to get how to do it on things. If someone would write a manual page like you used to get for, say word perfect macros, it would be great to be able to have batch files again.

Imagine you have a units converter program. with the script, you could click on terminal, and type vert 32f, and the next line would come up 32f is 0c. The converter would be a little utility I could write in .asm or K&R C.

About the update and shutdown button, you should open a feature request about it at the Gnome developers, I am sure many users of Gnome would like that feature.

About the command line: I suggest you check out the built-in autocomplete feature, makes life a lot easier. For example, if I would like to run:

tail -f /var/log/syslog

All I need to do is type “tai”, hit tab to complete “tail”, type “-f /va”, hit tab to autocomplete “/var/”, type “log/” and type “syslo” to reach the whole command. This is a trivial example on a short path, you need to type much less on long paths.

About scripting, you could check out our various scripting tutorials, maybe starting with the bash beginner’s tutorial.