Disable Gnome Software when starting Ubuntu 18.04

Hello,
Can I disable Gnome Software when starting Ubuntu 18.04?
And how to disable it?
Gnome Software consumes a good amount of memory when starting with Ubuntu 18.04, I would like to disable it.

Thank you.

Hey Junkle,

Welcome to our forums.

If you want to stop Gnome from loading, you can switch to multi-user.target, which will disable any graphical environment from loading, including Gnome. Is this your intention (for example on a server you don’t really need a GUI)?

If you want to use graphical environment, you’ll need something else that manages that for you, if you don’t want to use Gnome. For example you could install KDE or Kylin, but there are more of them - choosing any of them means Gnome will not load. You can always revert back if you do not delete the Gnome environment.

@sandmann,
Thanks for the explanations and the welcome, I’m enjoying Gnome, I just wanted to disable Gnome Software when starting Ubuntu 18.04.

Hi,

Okay, thanks for the clarification. You can edit the file /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-software-service.desktop and set the NoDisplay option from true to false, causing Gnome Software to appear in the “Startup applications” list (you may need to log out, and log in again), as it is hidden by default. You can disable it there, and may need to reboot/restart gdm for the setting to take effect.

Please let me know if this works for you.

1 Like

Yes, I put the commands and it worked, thanks for the tip.