Google Drive on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to seamlessly provide access to Google Drive on Ubuntu 18.04. Firstly, we will access Google Drive via Gnome build-in feature Online Accounts. Later, as an alternative, this tutorial will explain how to install google drive tool: google-drive-ocamlfuse via PPA and mount Google Drive remotely directly to user's home directory.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/google-drive-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Onii Chan

Hey, that’s great and I was able to see my files from drive in nautilus. But I can’t copy paste or do any other similar operations on files. It gives out an error “Authorization required”. Why ? I just signed in, right ?

Matthew Barlow

Thank you for this great and helpful article. Ubuntu Online Accounts is a great feature that I’ve always over-looked.

Insyc is a much better alternative than over grive. Not only are there more features but the support is far better and customer service is polite and willing to help. I purchased the license for over grive and couldn’t find the license key so I reached out to them (him) through email and the response Christiaan
Diedericks gave me was “Be patient and check your email before wasting our time.” For Insync you don’t need a license key to remember or store for access when you need it again. Simply use your Drive login. Insync also works with Windows, Mac and Linux. Since I dual boot with Windows I use it on both OS

Matthias Noack

Wow, thanks. gdfuse is great, love it.

Hi, Lubos.
As always, this is another great tutorial: easy to understand and very effective. Thanks!

Just a question. Why is needed the sudo before mkdir (on local directory)?
I disregarded, and made the directory as regular user. I had no problem connecting with Google Drive. Is there something I am missing?

Well, to be honest I really do not know. I think it is simply an error on my part. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The article will be updated shortly to reflect your suggestion.

Lubos

I’m not sure if you’ll see this, but thanks for the mention, Matthew!

Gio here from Insync (www dot insynchq dot com); I found this thread while browsing through Google Drive x Linux related articles.

@Lubos, if you’re looking for an alternative to the Gnome Online Accounts feature for Google Drive, I’d be happy to send you a free Insync license :slight_smile:

Anyone else just see Google Drive hang for a very long time before showing files? Seems to happy everytime.

I get this error doing
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alessandro-strada/ppa

W: GPG error: …MasterSoft24/xUbuntu_18.04 Release: The following signatures were invalid: AACBD1927CDA42C2D23F32371EB8A0F2D5D28A05
E: The repository
‘MasterSoft24 xUbuntu_18.04 Release’ is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.

Oh, it’s look like greate. Thanks for post! I have no problem with authenticate.

remote only. not cool. it takes 2 minutes now to get my files…none is loaded yet :slight_smile: waiting for proper client…