Google Earth installation

I followed the instructions on your web page for installing Google Earth on Ubuntu 18.04 and I got this message:

bobh@HP:~ google-earth-pro /usr/bin/google-earth-pro: line 21: 24213 Illegal instruction (core dumped) "(dirname "$(readlink -f “0")")/googleearth-bin" "@”

Thanks

Hi Huffmun,

Welcome to our forums.

I searched a bit about your issue, and it seems to me that this is a bug in Google Earth related to locale settings. Before execution, try to set your locale to en_US:

$ export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Let us know it that solves your issue.

Hi there. Thanks for responding. In the time since my GE problems I have replaced 18.04 with 20.04 and GE installed fine and is working fine. I have got most things to work with the exception of PlayOnLinux and Wine. I can install POL but can’t get any Windows programs running. I haven’t been able to get Wine installed at all. I’m still hanging on to Windows XP programs that are still better than what I can find now. I keep trying - it keeps an old man’s brain working, I hope.
Bob H

I also use Wine for my old games, most of them needed a little tweaking, but after that all worked fine. Still on 18.04 though :slightly_smiling_face: We have a guide about the installation of Wine on Ubuntu 20.04 that you might find helpful.