How to check my Local and External IP address on Kali Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The following article will illustrate some of the common ways on how to determine a local and public IP address on Kali Linux.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-check-my-local-and-external-ip-address-on-kali-linux

Sunny Kumar

Awesome :smiley: Thank you…

Abhinav Thakur

police can trace us*

Abhinav Thakur

is it possible that we are using kali linux and can trace us with the help of internal or external ip.plz tell

EliteHaxor -> Abhinav Thakur

if you spoof your mac adress no one should be able to track you. especially if youre using a proxy or vpn

Koro_Sensei

I can only see wireless connection. There is nothing in the wired section for me. I am using wifi. What should I do?

OneAndOnly -> Koro_Sensei

Hi, run a command ‘ifconfig’. There will be interface name starting with ‘wl’ - wireless. There is an ip in which you are interested …

Koro_Sensei -> OneAndOnly

I know that command actually. But my confusion starts when I see vmnet1 and vmnet8 also. I don’t understand which one is my correct IP.

OneAndOnly -> Koro_Sensei

Run a command ‘iwconfig’. There is an info which device is connected to which wireless network. Than you can match the name of active wireless device with ''ifconfig" output.

Koro_Sensei -> OneAndOnly

It’s showing wlan0 as the only connection and the rest are showing as no active wireless connections. I get it but what is my valid mac address? When I do ‘ifconfig’ I get mac addresses in wlan0, vmnet1 and also vmnet8. So which will be the mac address of my NIC?

Great post! It helped me in finding my local and public IP address on Linux. Also, I want to share my favorite website whatsmyrouterip that always shows IP addresses in a quick way.