How to configure Samba Server share on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa Linux - LinuxConfig.org

@electroman No problem. Hope it helps. :grin: :v:

Hi, great article. Was hoping someone ran into the same issue i have and could give me some pointers.
i setup the samba share on Ubuntu20.04 following the instructions above. i am running ubuntu as a virtual desktop in Virtualbox and using Windows 10 to try to connect to the samba share i created on the Ubuntu file system. both shares work and i can see them in windows 10 file explorer and drop files into each share. Ubuntu can see them when i login to ubuntu and i can open them and mange (delete/edit,etc.). but when i copy a file within Ubuntu to the samba shares, and then go over to windows 10 and open the share i cannot open them or delete them or do anything with them from windows. the files are locked and have an “x” in the icon. it seems like some sort of file permissions issue. Even when i do sudo chmod 777 on all the files in ubuntu, no go. still can’t do anything with them in Windows.
also i cannot map the drives in windows with my credentials for the user i login with to Ubuntu (i use the same user id and password for the Ubuntu shared folder). when i try to map the drive windows i get an error the the network share is already mapped and i need to disconnect it. its not though.
any help would be much appreciated

Hi Bgillette,

Welcome to our forums.

About your first issue: please post us the stats of an example file you placed on the share from the Linux box, so we can get a hold on your situation. Something like:

$ stat example.file

We’ll need the output of this command.

I’ve been trying to share a folder with permissions and haven’t had luck.
in the smb.conf file I’ve tried this

[mysharedfolder]
path = /mnt/disk3
writable= Yes
create mask = 0777
direectory mask = 0777
public = No
valid users = username
write list = username
guest ok = no
available = yes
browseable = yes
printable = no
locking = yes
strict locking = no

and trying to access to the folder from windows asks me for credentials and won’t access, I’ve already changed the password with this:
sudo smbpasswd -a username

if I change this line to yes would work without a problem but I want some security:
public = Yes

in the credentials for windows I’ve used the following as user name:
ubuntuserver\username
username

none of them work

by the way, username is the user name im using in ubuntu.

can anybody see what I’m doing wrong

• guest ok and public are synonyms. Hence, guest ok = no means public = no, and guest ok = yes means public = yes. In a nutshell: you’re supposed to use only one of these two parameters (e.g. guest ok = no), i.e. either use guest ok or public – not both.

• Even though writable is supposed to work, I’d replace writable= Yes with writeable = yes just in case (the spaces are also important).

• On your Linux system:

1. Open your file manager (e.g. Thunar, Nautilus etc.) and then
    2. Open the following location (which happens to be the location of your Linux Samba server’s shared folder): smb://localhost/mysharedfolder/
    3. Then provide the username username and its password.
    4. If your file manager asks for a domain/group, provide the one that you pre-configured in the [global] section of your smb.conf file, e.g. if you set workgroup = ubuntuserver then type ubuntuserver (if you didn’t configure the workgroup, do it before proceeding). Also take a look at the sample contents of an smb.conf file that I provided above.
  • If you edit the smb.conf file, then after saving the changes don’t forget to restart the Samba server so these changes take effect: sudo service smbd restart

• If you succeed with your (client) Linux connection to your own (server) Linux Samba share, then the problem may be somewhere in your Windows configuration.

• Yet, if you still can’t succeed with a Windows connection attempt, then it’s also likely that there’s some misconfiguration within your username user data on Linux. In such case:

1. If username is NOT your Linux user account, then delete it with sudo userdel -r username and then add it again with sudo useradd -M -N -g sambashare username (Linux is case-sensitive: do not use capital letters where it’s not capitalized – and vice-versa).
    2. If username IS your Linux user account, then add it to the sambashare group with sudo usermod -a -G sambashare username.
  • If you either execute userdel, useradd or usermod, then don’t forget to restart the Samba server afterwards, so these changes take effect: sudo service smbd restart

what you suggested here smb://localhost/mysharedfolder/ worked perfectly on linux, I also tried in a virtual machine with macOS and I was also able to access to the folder

and windows worked after I applied this line you suggested:
sudo usermod -a -G sambashare username

Thank you so much.

1 Like

@rogeman Great. I’m glad to know that the problem is fixed. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1: