How to create desktop shortcut launcher on Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to show how to create desktop shortcut launcher on Ubuntu 18.10 Bionic Beaver Desktop using the default GNOME user interface.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-create-desktop-shortcut-launcher-on-ubuntu-18-10-cosmic-cuttlefish-linux

How can I create the shortcut on the launcher?

When I right click on the launcher icon of a running application, the “add to favorites” menu option is shown only in some applications.

How can I add the shortcut to the launcher without this menu item?

Thanks

Hi Dhakalkumar,

Welcome to our forums.

I’d suggest you enter search mode with the window-like button, start typing for the application you search for, and when the icon appears, right click on it to get the drop-down menu. Then you can add it to the launcher with the “add to favorites” menu item. I have tested this on various applications installed, and I had that menu item on each and every one of them.
I have tested it the other way around, and for example I could not manage my running Konsole application’s laucher shortcut - but I could do so with this search-first approach mentioned.