How to customize dock panel on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective of this article is to provide the reader with a basic instructions on how to customize the dock panel on the default Gnome Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver desktop.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-customize-dock-panel-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Yothin

I have an error after setting following this article. I can not run Setting. And cannot use 'gsettings reset .It show as

~$ gsettings reset org.gnome.shell.extension.dash-to-dock

Usage:

gsettings [–schemadir SCHEMADIR] reset SCHEMA[:PATH] KEY

Reset KEY to its default value

Arguments:
SCHEMADIR A directory to search for additional schemas
SCHEMA The name of the schema
PATH The path, for relocatable schemas
KEY The key within the schema

Tom Henry

Hello
Thanks for this great article.
Would appreciate it if I could know from someone just how you got the bottom dock icons “centered” ?
Thanks

Paul H -> Tom Henry

That was the extend-height false parameter, I think it is defined as height because the default display for the dock is on the left

Claudius Raphael Paeth

For those wondering why dconf-tools can’t be installed in ubuntu-live-mode ( e.g.: when one is installing ubuntu | trying editing via dconf-editor | set gsettings manually );

You have to enable the universe repository first:

$ sudo apt-add-repository universe

or likewise the other way around:

$ sudo add-apt-repository universe

After the ’ universe '-repo is enabled type:

$ sudo apt update

to refresh the catalogue of applications, so that dconf-tools become available.

For those that are not experienced with the shell and assume it is nerve-wracking to use the gsettings, you should know that you can use the tab-key for auto-completion;
E.g.: Start the terminal, either via the applications-dash (the 3x3 dotted icon) and type terminal or select it directly, or just use the keys-combination-shortcut [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [t], which is available in any ubuntu independent of version and launches a new terminal-instance.
now type

$ gse

and hit the [Tab]-key, you will see autocompletion will expand to

$ gsettings

now hit the [Tab]-key, twice to list available commands, or type ’ s ’ and hit [Tab] to expand to

$ gsettings set

just add ‘o’, then [Tab] to expand to

$ gsettings set org.

type ’ gn ’ and hit [Tab] to expand to

$ gsettings set org.gnome.

type ’ sh ’ and hit [Tab] again to expand to

$ gsettings set.org.gnome.shell

and so on, and so on, and so on …

You got the gist of it?

Auto-Completion via the [Tab]-key is pre-set to enabled for users inside the ubuntu bash terminal. Have no fear, try it; it is a great way to learn about the possibilities of the command-line-interface (CLI).
Don’t be scared, when you eventually typed not enough to expand to a distinct set, Ubuntu will ask you if you want to list all possibilities, e.g.;

$ gsettings set org. [Tab]

Display all 272 possibilities? (y or n)

Just hit ’ y ’ for yes or ’ n ’ for no. All possibilities will be listed pagewise, with a note of ’ --More-- ’ at the end of any page; hit the [space]-key to go on. If you wish to scroll up/down the output, hold the [Shift]-key and hit [Pg-Up] or [PgDn].

Hopefully, the one or the other feels encouraged to try it; Have fun!

Curtis

dcong-editor mentioned above should be dconf-editor.

Lubos Rendek Mod -> Curtis

typo. its fixed…thank you

Curtis -> Lubos Rendek

Hi Lubos, by the way nice article. Please note spelling is dconf-editor, not deconf-editor as mentioned three times above.

Lubos Rendek Mod -> Curtis

Hi Curtis,

I rather do not go into details about what just happened:-) In any case thank you for you persistence and patience !