How to disable Nouveau nvidia driver on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to disable the default Nouveau kernel driver on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-disable-nouveau-nvidia-driver-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

jiapei100

Didn’t work for me…

Muhammad Hafid

Does not solve the problem

Henry E Wyatt Jr

Does this work for earlier versions of Ubuntu

It worked for me. Thanks a lot.

Hm…
After diabling Nouveau nvidia driver that’s OK.
But suppose my nvidia card gets fried and I must replace it for another graphics card?

• another nvidia card, or
  • another non-nvidia card?

In other words, am I safe if I want to install another graphics card, assuming Ubuntu detects it?

Thank you for the help. I am a linguistics major and a teacher with 25 y. of experience. I find coders need to be more careful when they provide help. Please do not take it the wrong way. We are grateful for your help, but when you state: "Open up terminal and enter the following linux commands:

sudo bash -c "echo blacklist nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf" sudo bash -c “echo options nouveau modeset=0 >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-n”

You really mean enter one line at a time and then enter.

You must assume the reader knows NOTHING.

Btw, this did not work for me.

I love the internet, but spending 4 hours on making sure that a fan is not running rogue is crazy. There must be an easier way to find out what is going on or there should be.

Disabling the Nouveau NVidia driver on Ubuntu 18.04 causes my system to halt during booting process. Since no other backup kernel is available I had to re-install the whole OS