How to install KDE plasma desktop on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to install KDE plasma desktop as an alternative desktop environment.

We will be using the tasksel command to install KDE plasma desktop. In case the tasksel command is not available on your system you can install it by:

$ sudo apt install tasksel

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-kde-plasma-desktop-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

NOTE: SOME OF THE POSTS BELOW ARE TRANSFERRED FROM LINUXCONFIG DISQUS COMMENTS.

ashe

Just don’t do this. Install Kubuntu instead. This will make your whole system bloat in size, incompatibility, duplicate app and of course system crash.

Diogo Lima

This F*cked up my system. I’ll need to reinstall now.

Shubham Dalal

How to unistall/ remove kubuntu-desktop?

Trance m -> Shubham Dalal

this>> 
sudo tasksel remove kubuntu-desktop

Shubham Dalal -> Trance m

During installation taskel gave me some errors “failed”.
However some packages were installed.
Now I’m able to switch my desktop environment at login window but I want stick to mate only and wants to remove kubuntu desktop
I already tried that command but nothing happens.

Harish Sharma

I followed the steps, but after the installation was done, the system hanged. I forced shut it down and on restart, although kubuntu logo showed up, but still Ubuntu is loading with GNOME only. I have restarted multiple times but no luck.

Deivid Schlosser Onório -> Harish Sharma

You need to choose the KDE plasma in the login screen, in your user settings.

Tom Daniek -> Harish Sharma

same here

Sangeeth

Hello, is there a way to get just the start menu without installing the complete KDE desktop?

Lubos Rendek Mod → Sangeeth

perhaps this is what you need: https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-add-start-menu-to-gnome-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-desktop

DO NOT USE tasksel to remove it afterwards. It will remove half of your system alongside totally breaking the OS

I tried to install Plasma desktop to Ubuntu 16.10 and obliterated it. I have run KDE Neon since Ubuntu discontinued Unity. Can’t get much satisfaction out on Gnome. Neon is easy to install and easy to use. Very stable. Recommend if you want to try Plasma that you take the Neon route.

A post was split to a new topic: Logout and login - there is no options to choose KDE

Nice Post Thanks for sharing good information.

I didn’t have a problem at all. I followed the instructions on a new PopOs install and I just completed my dev setup. That includes setting up bluetooth, java, IDE, Hangouts, DBs, VirtualBox, etc…, all with multiple monitors. I’m happy to report no issues with suspend, video/monitors, audio, or anything really.

this desktop environment is totally a shit ,it ruins my system