How to install MATLAB on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

This article will provide reader with step by step instructions on how to install Matlab on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-matlab-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

ananth rao

Hi, Please help, Im encountering

./install: 1: exec: /home/murali/Downloads/matlab/bin/unknown/install_unix: not found

error when i used $ sudo ./install

command, what is the reason? how can I overcome it

It looks like your shell does not know something about your CPU architecture so instead of a path like bin/i686 bin/arm it’s creating /home/murali/Downloads/matlab/bin/unknown/install_unix you might be able to work around this by creating a soft link from unkown to the correct directory.

Thanks for the excellent step-by-step guide!

For me the only thing that didn’t work was adding the icon to ‘Favorites’ in the dash. I solved this based on comment #8 in https:// bugzilla. gnome. org/ show_bug.cgi?id=774353 (sorry for the spaces, as a new user I cannot post links):

In the .desktop file, I’ve changed
StartupWMClass=com-mathworks-util-PostVMInit
into
StartupWMClass=MATLAB R2018b - academic use.

Thanks a lot for guiding to install. It works for all versions of MATLAB.
amazing…

Hi, I’m getting the following error when I try to activate Matlab.

I’m just using a trial licence for now.

You might not have write permission on the License File or the folder. /usr/local/MATLAB/R2019b/licenses/trial_6888551_R2019b.lic

See your System Administrator for assistance. The specific error message text is: /usr/local/MATLAB/R2019b/licenses/trial_6888551_R2019b.lic (No such file or directory).

Everything else worked perfectly. Thanks so much!

Hi Dylan_Martens,

Welcome to our forums.

You can set yourself as the owner of the licenses directory by executing the following as root:

# chown -R your-username:your-username /usr/local/MATLAB/R2019b/licenses

With yourself as the owner, you get access to the mentioned directory.