How to install Minecraft on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to install the Minecraft client on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux. The installation of the Minecraft client on Ubuntu 18.04 Linux with use of snap is as easy as an execution of a single command. Open up terminal and enter:
$ sudo snap install minecraft

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-minecraft-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Lassemind Mind

Hey guys,
somehow my laucher has gotten updated to the now one and now i somehow cant lauche minecraft, what now??

No one you know

i have run:

“sudo snap install minecraft”

and after doing some other stuff it responded:

“minecraft latest from ‘snapcrafters’ installed”.

When i run “minecraft” it gives me this:

"Command ‘minecraft’ not found, but can be installed with:

sudo snap install minecraft"
If i try to installing it again it just tells me it is already installed and no change when i try to run it.

i am running Lubuntu 18.04 LTS

Clay

I don’t have a rescource pack folder…

Em Jannings (Emil)

Snap solved a problem for me. After upgrading to 18.04 I installed java and Minecraft.jar and experienced a series of crashes involving the “trustAnchors parameter” that I could not solve. Snap installed the launcher with one command. I don’t find that this launcher any different that the ones I’ve use before.

As for the snap “silo” I think a silo is probably a pretty good place to put java. I recommend this installation.

Callista Graves

Sorry, but the problem with this is it is not at all friendly for the average Minecraft player.

How does one install mods? Do you need to know how to make snap packages to do so?

Minecraft as a snap removes options for users, putting the data into a sort of silo.

popeydc -> Callista Graves

The .minecraft folder is in ~/snap/minecraft/common and so mods and other things can be placed in there. It’s not a lot different from the other ways of installing Minecraft, the folder just moved a little :slight_smile:

Sea Star -> popeydc

Forge doesn’t seem to work on Ubuntu 18.04 as of right now. The folder and launcher are indeed there, but the forge installer can’t seem to find them, even when directed to the location.