How to install ntfs-3g on RHEL 8 - LinuxConfig.org

NTFS is not supported by default on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8. To make our system able to read and write block devices formatted with this proprietary filesystem, we need to install the ntfs-3g software, which usually in provided by third party repositories like Epel. At the time of writing, however, a version of this software source for Rhel8 doesn't already exist, therefore we will see how to install it from source in few easy steps.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-ntfs-3g-on-redhat-8
1 Like

Hi EgDoc,

Thanks! I think you got me 95% of the way home. After trying to complete your task list, I now have the ntfs -3g software installed. However, I cannot get my RHEL 8 system to mount a thumb drive formatted using NTFS. I am open to suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks again.

Incidentally, the installation appears to have corrupted the Software Activity. I’m going to uninstall it now.

What kind of corruption?

Hello EgDoc,

I am very new to RHEL 8 and not terribly skilled at Linux. On Gnome classic, in the software application, it gave me error messages. I do not recall the details but it might have complained about something regarding EPEL8. Sorry, I realize that I am not being terribly helpful.

Chris

Hello, I managed to install ntfs-3g on centOS 8, and the disk utility allowed me to format a partition with NTFS filesystem. However, I can’t mount it, I keep getting “unknown filesytem type ‘ntf’”. Any idea?

Hi Fourier,

Welcome to our forums.

Most likely you’ll need to install additional packages. Did you installed it from source, or from the repositories?

Got this error when trying to copy a bunch of files to a ntfs drive mounted successfully.

Oct 6 18:32:16 lnx pcp-pmie[2880]: Severe demand for real memory 171pgsout/s

The system dies shortly after that. I’m guessing some sort of memory leak?

Hi Al_Adler,

Welcome to our forums.

According to your description you may have a memory leak issue, or something running on your system simply consumes all the memory, starving other processes to death. You can run a top command on the terminal, press shift+m to see running processes ordered by memory consumption to see which are the ones eating most of it.

Thank you! It worked as intended.

i did it with a yum install ntfs-3g (with epel)
is there a interest to make it the hard way more than what i did?