How to install Nvidia driver on Debian 10 Buster Linux - LinuxConfig.org

In this article you will learn how to install Nvidia driver on Debian 10 Buster from the standard Debian repository. In case that from some reason the installation of the Nvidia driver from the standard Debian repository failed or you simply with to have more up to date Nvidia driver installed this tutorial will also explain on how to install the official Nvidia driver driver directly downloaded from the Nvidia.com website.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-nvidia-driver-on-debian-10-buster-linux

Hay man
You need add contrib to sources.list and non-free

The non-free Debian repository should be all that is required to follow this tutorial. Can you provide more information on why do you think that the contrib repository is required?

thank you

Actually, just the non-free repository is not enough to install all the dependencies required for nvidia-driver, adding the contrib repository solved my case.

Adding non-free is not enough. Other commenter is correct. The nvidia-driver package has a number of dependencies on packages available in contrib that are not present in non-free.

I’m on Debian 10 and for some reason just blacklisting the nouveau driver through the conf file wasn’t enough. I also had to run “update-initramfs -u” for it to actually blacklist it. Never experienced that on Debian 9.x. I wonder what changed?

2 Likes

I did all steps in this article exactly but I didn’t get correct result! I got a dark screen، It seems this article is incomplete :neutral_face:

Yes, it forgets to mention that before installing nvidia-driver you need to

sudo apt-get install module-assistant

and run

sudo m-a prepare

It will install missing kernel header files for compile. During installation dkms modules are compiled and it fails to compile if kernel header files are missing.

I have installed the driver, yet I faced an issue that the display manager no longer works. I have tried to move to gdm3 instead of lightdm, but nothing changed. How can I solve this issue?

Hi Ash,

Welcome to our forums.

To revert to the old driver, you can remove nouveau from the blacklisted modules by removing it from /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf the guide mentioned, and reboot, thus returning to a working display manager.

To solve the problem regarding what went wrong with the driver installation, please provide us with some details, maybe error entries related to the driver from dmesg or the display manager’s logs.