How to install or upgrade to PHP 7 on CentOS 7 Linux Server - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to install or replace existing PHP 5 with PHP 7 on CentOS 7 Linux server. As you will see, this procedure is fairly simple when using Remi Repository.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-or-upgrade-to-php-7-on-centos-linux-server NOTE: SOME OF THE POSTS BELOW ARE TRANSFERRED FROM LINUXCONFIG DISQUS COMMENTS.

Кирилл

Thankkssss so much

Quan

Aaaanddd… ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED after update. :slight_smile:
Any ideas?

Prasenjit Barman

Which versions of PHP can i install in RHEL 6.9

Sławomir Własik

Great article That’s what I was looking for. Thanks

Kiko Seijo

Works like a charm, Grats, so simple,

alaadahmed

didn’t work, still shows me php 5.4.16 … doesn’t want to update it and says “already installed and latest version … Nothing to do”

Cristina -> alaadahmed

You have to uninstall php 5.4.16 before doing anything

anonymous -> Cristina

how do you do that? The article starts out “…install or replace existing PHP 5 with PHP 7…”. Wonder why the author did not tell us we needed to uninstall PHP first. To me, replace means, well, replace.

anonymous -> alaadahmed

had the same problem the first time, was because I already had the “EPEL Repository” active. So if u would then copy/past this line “rpm -Uvh remi-release-7.rpm epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm” it also did not activate the “Remi Repository”. If u already have the “EPEL Repository” active, use this line “rpm -Uvh remi-release-7.rpm” and after that the php7.0 or php7.1

Phillip Mwaniki -> anonymous

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

can you spell this out further?

If u already have the “EPEL Repository” active, use this line “rpm -Uvh remi-release-7.rpm” and after that the php7.0 or php7.1

what exactly does “and after that the php7.0 or php7.1” mean?

lk

What is meant by that is that you choose which version of PHP 7 you wish to install. Now, there is also a PHP 7.2 available via REMI repository. After you have EPEL and REMI packages installed run one of the following:

FOR PHP 7.0 EXECUTE:
# yum-config-manager --enable remi-php70
FOR PHP 7.1 EXECUTE:
# yum-config-manager --enable remi-php71
FOR PHP 7.2 EXECUTE:
# yum-config-manager --enable remi-php72

Here is a video to show all steps for the entire PHP 7 installation on CentoOS 7:

Hope this helps!

Lubos