How to install Popcorn Time movie player on Debian 9 Stretch Linux - LinuxConfig.org

Popcorn Time streams movies and TV shows from torrents directly into your screen. The objective is to install Popcorn Time movie streamer on Debian 9 Stretch Linux.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-popcorn-time-movie-player-on-debian-9-stretch-linux

Patrick Garcha

Hi,

I’m receiving the following error after attempting to launch PopcornTime through the console;

bash: ./Popcorn-Time: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

My understanding is that this often indicates that either the 32 or 64bit is wrong. However this is the case every time I try this process regardless of the architecture.

I’m using a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (raspbian)

kokonoula

i thing i got everything right, but when i try to run popcorn-time (trough terminal command) i get this error:

popcorn-time: error while loading shared libraries: libnw.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

don’t know what this is…

diabolik62

solved,on italy is blocked!

diabolik62

have this error:

sudo wget -qO- https://get.popcorntime.sh/build/Popcorn-Time-0.3.10-Linux-64.tar.xz | sudo tar Jx -C /opt/popcorn-time
[sudo] password for ettore: 
xz: (stdin): File format not recognized
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

meir rotfleisch -> diabolik62

hi
Did you get this to work

Regards

Lubos Rendek -> meir rotfleisch

try to install xz-utils package with:

# apt-get install xz-utils

meir rotfleisch -> Lubos Rendek

Thanks i got past that stage but I get error when attempting to run the binary …
error is:

bash: /usr/bin/popcorn-time: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

Suggestions ?

Nicolas FRANCOIS -> meir rotfleisch

This is generally a mixup between 32bits and 64bits versions. If the line for 64bits don’t work for you, try the 32bits version.

This helped! Thanks for the instructions!