How to install Popcorn Time movie player on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus Linux - LinuxConfig.org

xXx_DebianScoper420_xXx

blazin tutorial (better than netflix and chill!!!) XDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Ken -> xXx_DebianScoper420_xXx

For those who want to build a library and/or burn dvds using whatever application for that, such as Devede. In the configuration, in the storage location you can change it to like home/videos (can browse to wherever, and you untick the delete after view, and it will save a copy of the video file(s) in well wherever you tell it to. So you can start watching a movie, pause it and come back later click up in the right top where it shows how much has downloaded, and if it is all done, you can later on watch the movie offline etc, and/or burn it to a dvd with devede or whatever dvd creation software. And if quality is not the option you can probably squeeze up to 4 movies on a dvd.

Abdulkadir Sanli

Thank you! Worked like a charm!

emez

hey there! Thanks for the guide, but I’m afraid is not working as expected:

• Ubuntu 16.04
  • 4.4.0-59-generic #80-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 6 17:36:54 UTC 2017 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

When using the launcher nothing happens, when launching within terminal I get:

./Popcorn-Time: error while loading shared libraries: libnw.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any clues/suggestions? No idea what that lib is. Something to do with the binaries or my system?

Thanks!

Frank -> emez

Need to execute the following four commands to copy two libraries into the right place and give them user-level permissions. This was necessary to install Popcorn Time on each of my three Linux Ubuntu distributions: 14.04 LTS, 15.10 and 16.04 LTS. Weird that these steps weren’t needed for the author or the first few posters (otherwise great instructions):

sudo cp /opt/popcorn-time/lib/libnw.so /usr/lib
sudo cp /opt/popcorn-time/lib/libnode.so /usr/lib

sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/libnw.so
sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/libnode.so

Kevin Liu -> Frank

Hi Frank. For the first command I got
cp: cannot stat '/opt/popcorn-time/lib/libnw.so': No such file or directory

I searched the internet for this file, couldn’t find it.

Frank -> Kevin Liu

Kevin, the two libraries should have been placed in the directory in question by following the installation instructions. Then run the four commands. -F

Zoe Marino -> emez

HI, @emez could you solve it? I have the exact same issue and i don’t know what else to do now

Luigi Lopez

I got stucked in this part: FOR 32-BIT SYSTEM EXECUTE:

$ sudo wget -qO- https://get.popcorntime .sh/build/Popcorn-Time-0.3.10-Linux-32.tar.xz | sudo tar Jx -C /opt/popcorn-time

Terminal didn’t prompt any answer.

Lubos Rendek -> Luigi Lopez

Luigi, unless you got some error from the above command, I believe that you need to be little bit patient as its downloading Popcorn time. Otherwise the above command should not produce any output unless there is an error. Once you get your command prompt back after executing the above command move on to the next step in the installation list :slight_smile:

Luigi Lopez -> Lubos Rendek

Oh… Thanks Lubos, so I just wait for the terminal let me continue executing commands? Thanks.

correct…

Hello Lubos, I tried again all the steps with the new recommendations; When I click on the Icon nothing happens…I edit the Desktop Launcher with xedit editor. Any help?

PD: I went to the folder /usr/bin/ and look for popcorn-time, was a direct access I click it and the same, nothing happen

Try to run popcorn time from terminal a.k.a command line to catch any errors. Without any errors to report it is hard to fix the issue.

Hello Lubus, how could I run Popcorn time from terminal, and what is a.k.a? Thanks Lubus

Luigi Lopez

Didn’t work at all.

Have patience! Rule #1 in Linux. No output, good output…:slight_smile: If you need to see some output remove -q from the above wget command and add “v” to tar command.

Thanks Lubos… Somethimes we desesperate. Could you please reply to my recent question above? Thanks.

allen4jan

what to say…two weaks ago, in 2 january I installed on Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and today I installed on Linux Mint 18.1 Serena… and works excellent in both systems !!! thanks again Lubos !!!

Yuri Ferreira

I have an error when i try to start the application: “There was an error launching the application.”. I’ve follow all these steps, but not work…