How to install Spotify on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

From your desktop menu search and start Ubuntu Software application. Within Ubuntu software search for Spotify and hit Install button and enter your password. Once installed simply click on Launch button to start Spotify application. Be patient as it may take a while before your can see the Spotify window on your screen:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-spotify-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Elias Soares

Since Bionic Beaver, the apt update step after add-apt-repository is not necessary since the add-apt-repository it self runs the update command.

Lubos Rendek Mod -> Elias Soares

Good point… Article updated. Thank you

freakyy85

Thanks a lot. After an upgrade to Bionic Beaver from 17.10, the package libcurl3 needs to be installed for spotify to be able to get installed. Just: sudo apt install libcurl3

Colin Shorts -> freakyy85

libcurl3 conflicts with clamav (requires libcurl4), but the snap method works just fine.

In addition to this tutorial is there anybody with the know how how to get a desktop icon (back)? I installed spotify through ubuntu software center. Now i have a snap folder which contains several folders and files but none have anything to do with the actual desktop icon. When i looked in the folder /usr/share/applications there is no spotify program in it. Spotify itself works good btw. Help is much appreciated.

Hi Wapple,

Welcome to our forums.

You can always add a desktop icon by creating a simple text file in your /home/<username>/Desktop directory. Here is my Netbeans icon, called netbeans-8.2.desktop for example:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=NetBeans IDE 8.2
Comment=The Smarter Way to Code
Exec=/bin/sh "/home/sandmann/netbeans-8.2/bin/netbeans"
Icon=/home/sandmann/netbeans-8.2/nb/netbeans.png
Categories=Application;Development;Java;IDE
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=0

You need to add the right parameters to such a file, and make it executable with:

$ chmod +x <full-path-to-file>

If you name it “Spotify.desktop”, the desktop extension will not be shown on the actual desktop. On first run you will be asked if you trust it, but only the first time. You can search your snap folder for the picture and the binary that you’ll need to reference in your “desktop icon” file.

Hi Sandmann, thank you for your response. I will try your suggestion tomorrow and will let you know if it worked or not.