How to Install The Latest AMD Radeon Drivers on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

I’m a bit puzzled as to why anyone would want to install the proprietary drivers, when the free-software drivers are packaged with Ubuntu anyway. From the discussion, the free-software drivers seem to be of better quality, and I’d expect anyone running Linux to be fully aware of all the other benefits of using non-proprietary software.

@Neil not everything is working with the free drivers. I cant render on my GPU for example. the software doesnt recognizes any gpu. but anyway, this problem seems to persist. I am not able to install the drivers due to dkms error and installing new dkms hints that its already up to date.
after reboot i am as well stuck in the login loop. I hope this gets fixed soon. I am eager to try ubuntu for the first time, but this is really annoying.

THE AMD DRIVERS WORK BUT DRI3!

Guys! I followed all the steps explained in this tutorial and got the same problem as you.
There was a black screen and there said “Started bpfilter” and got stuck in here.
In my case there was not a xorg.conf file on my folder, so I had to create it and paste the lines descripted above there. I solved it by deleting this file
I guess, in your case you just have to comment or delete those copied lines.

I’m using a Radeon R7 M260. How do I know my drivers are working? I checked with the following command:
sudo -i
cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

Hi there! (Ubuntu 18.04 Lts Bionic) Had the same issue with AMD ATI Radeon and had to purge the amd gpu pro (official) with console.

In fact the best and most stable drivers that I could get (run the two lines one after another):

1. sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-input-libinput libinput-tools
  2. sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

It works fine, but I could not come up with a solution to use my dedicated gpu card:
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Robson CE [Radeon HD 6370M/7370M] [1002:68e4].