How to install the NVIDIA drivers on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to install the NVIDIA drivers on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux. This article will discuss three methods of Nvidia driver installation in the following order: 1. Automatic Install using standard Ubuntu Repository 2. Automatic Install using PPA repository to install Nvidia Beta drivers 3. Manual Install using the Official nvidia.com driver

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Sorin255

Having issues with the second option.

The process hangs at 87% complete at:

writing new private key to /var/lib/shim-signed/mok/MOK.priv

Jhonny Moreira -> Sorin255

For what I’ve been reading, it seems that you should type your current user password twice:

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1036167/stuck-trying-to-intall-nvidia-390-ubuntu-18-04-lts-/

shiromar

after reading about 50 different ways of installing these drivers. This one finally did it.

I did have to use the “Manual Install using the Official Nvidia.com driver”

though, I couldn’t find any drivers with *.bin. Just used the .run supplied by nvidia.

sudo ./NV***.run

it did complain about the compiler being written for 7.2 and the installed was 7.33 iirc.

I ignored that and continued on. Installed 32bit extras. After reboot I ran

$ glxinfo|egrep "OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer"

Very happy to see:

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

I tried the Anton drivers from his PPA and they installed but the OpenGL vendor was VMware.

Anyway big thanks, I see why Linus gave them the middle finger, does there really need to be so much BS installing a driver…

Patrick

Hi,

I would like to install either Ubuntu or
Opensuse last versions on a old laptop which is equipped with Nvidia
Geforce 310M graphic card. I was wondering if I will encounter any
problems (unrecognized graphic card) installing one of the distributions
quoted above. My laptop (Asus U36JC) has an old CPU a Core I5 480m. I
guess that it has enough for Ubuntu or Opensuse.

Thanks in advance for your precious advices.

Андрей (TyroSpy)

On my GTX1050 black screen after reboot

egermano -> Андрей (TyroSpy)

Me too

Matt Stimpson

I got half way through this install … it didnt work and now I cant download the nvidia app from software. How do I undo the depository?

alex73

It’s fake. Ubuntu 18.04 doesn’t contain nvidia-304 package, ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa doesn’t contain packages for 18.04, old packages for 17.10 contains dependency issues for 18.04.
NVidia proprietarty driver can’t be compiled in 18.04 without patches.
So, all these advices just don’t work.

deaz97 -> alex73

I just installed that driver following these instructions. It worked perfectly. Did you even try to do it?

Tim Josling -> deaz97

Works with the latest driver from nvidia as at 20 May 2018.

Tim Josling -> deaz97

Well I just tried it and it failed to compile the driver with Ubuntu 18.04 vanilla.

/kernel/nv-linux.h: At top level:
/kernel/nv-linux.h:203:2: error: #error "This driver requires the ability to change memory types!"
#error "This driver requires the ability to change memory types!"

See
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-340/+bug/1741671
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1012391/340-xx-compilation-fails-under-4-12-kernel-/

Tim

The open-source drivers are better than the NVIDIA drivers because they don’t try to Blind you on wake.

soucet

“To start installation of Nvidia driver execute the following command and follow the wizard:”

execute what command?

Lubos Rendek Mod -> soucet

this should be updated now. thanks

Nona&me

What about bumbelbee install, can you write an article for it pls

Rubbish Mate … They install fine as they have for years!
w.r.t. legacy drivers I don’t know

What is SORELY MISSING here is using the standard GUI …

Simply go to ‘Software and Updates’ , and click on ‘Additional Drivers’, and … Ubuntu finds all the best drivers for you, just click on the one that say (recommended) beside it, or any other at your own risk. It will Find it, and install it all …

Easy-Peasy

Always trying to help, Mark

You should mention in this article that everyone has to check whether the bumblebee package is installed or its configuration file is presented. Otherwise after the reboot the people face with a blinking screen between the boot and an empty graphic screen and they can go nowhere.
Then they have to restart it in maintenance mode, set the read-only filesystem writeable and remove the bumblebee package. Which is a lot of trouble.
Check this article please: askubuntu . com / questions / 760997 / how-to-recover-from-a-nvidia-fail-on-ubuntu-16-04#answer-907869

Thank You! I used option #3 as the first two did not work. Option #3 worked! Very cool. Using the low level command line toughed it through. So now I’m running Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver on and old Toshiba Tecra M7 with a Nvidia display driver. Thanks!