How to install the NVIDIA drivers on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to install the NVIDIA drivers on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa Linux and switch from a opensource Nouveau driver to proprietary Nvidia driver.

To install Nvidia driver on other Linux distributions, follow our Nvidia Linux Driver guide.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux

hello, I have a problem with install the driver on my laptop. After I have install the driver, I can see the nvidia-X-server icon, but I get a error when i type “nvidia-smi” in the command line. It shows
“NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.”
What can I do?

Hi Frank1126lin,

Welcome to our forums.

To start with, you could check if the driver is loaded. What output does the following command provide on your system?

$ sudo lsmod | grep -i nvidia

I also had that issue as mentioned above. I have tried multiple times and multiple methods to try to get my graphics drivers working (NVIDIA-390.132) However, when I run $ sudo lsmod | grep -i nvidia there is no output when I believe it should list “nvidia-390”
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :smiley: