How to install VMware Workstation on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to install VMware Workstation on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux. The first step is to download the VMware workstation installation binary. Open up terminal and use wget command for this task:

$ wget -O ~/vmware.bin https://www.vmware.com/go/getworkstation-linux

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-vmware-workstation-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Fred M

How do you get the vmmon module loaded?

I have bought VMware 14x so it’s product key is:

AG352-4YED3-0852Q-LPXXT-MGKG4

I can’t install the Kernel Module “Virtual Machine Monitor”
the log says that various files such as /usr/lib/vmware/settings and home/vincent456/.vmware/config are missing.

It’s system fault maybe, i was trying to make myself face this problem… but somehow nothing was happening…

I get 18 lines worth of error messages when I perform the 3rd step (= sudo bash ~/vmware.bin). I have done a pure copy & paste so as not to create a type by mistake. Pleases see 1 attached pix below for details. Can somebody please help to resolve this problem? Thanks much, it will be greatly appreciated.

Hi DonP,

Welcome to our forums.

It appears that you downloaded a HTML page instead of an actual binary. You can verify this with the file command:

$ file /home/sme/vmware.bin

I’m pretty sure you’ll get something similar as output:

/home/sme/vmware.bin: HTML document, ASCII text

I have tested and have the same results, which leads me to believe some JavaScript is added to the page that redirects a browser to the binary, but wget does not handle JS at all. The download still works with this URL from a browser where JS is enabled.

Thanks very much for the prompt reply. So, are you saying that I need to have JavaScript enabled on my firefox browser? If so, how would I do that in Ubuntu linux v18.04?

-Donald

The Screenshot below is what I found to work. I needed to place the ./VMware-Workstation-Full-15.5.0-14665864.x86_64.bundle file into the correct folder & then run sudo bash ./VMware-Workstation-Full-15.5.0-14665864.x86_64.bundle against it. Then it worked. Thanks for all the help you offered, it’s greatly appreciated sandmann. -Donald

1 Like