How to install vnc server on RHEL 8 - LinuxConfig.org

Remote connection to computers is as old as computer networks. Accessing the graphical interface (GUI) is a convenient way of working on a remote desktop. We can leave our graphical programs running and working, and we don't need to keep the session open - we simply reconnect when we feel to do so.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/install-vnc-server-on-redhat-8

Thanks for the article. However, RHEL 8 doesn’t have vncserver as part of the tigervnc package. For that your instructions should instead include tigervnc-server. Otherwise, great :slight_smile:

Hi Traek,

Welcome to our forums.

Thanks for the feedback, the article will be updated shortly with the right package name.

I just installed the tigervnc-server on a freshly deployed CentOS 8 VM. Although my client successfully connects to the vncserver, the display I’m getting is black with a square-dot cursor. There’s nothing else, no hint of the Gnome desktop. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

Welcome to our forums.

What is the graphical display manager that you installed on that virtual machine? In the above article xterm is used as an example, which had to be configured to be used in the vnc session. The same way you’ll need to add the display manager of your choosing to the configuration - and install it as well.

If those are in place, the log in the user’s .vnc directory will provide some information about what went wrong.

Hi sandmann,

The problem was, as you advised, not specifying the display manager. I’ve corrected that and all’s well now. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
-Kirk

1 Like