How to manage EFI boot manager entries on Linux - Linux Tutorials - Learn Linux Configuration

UEFI is the firmware interface which on modern machines has superseded the legacy BIOS. One of the features of the UEFI firmware is being able to store boot entries in the persistent and editable NVRAM memory (Non Volatile RAM). While installing a Linux distribution (or any other operating system) in UEFI mode makes usually the related boot entry to be written to the NVRAM, in some cases we may want to perform manual operations such as modifying the boot order, creating or deleting a boot entry.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-manage-efi-boot-manager-entries-on-linux

Or buy a Linux hardware computer with Coreboot. No problems then.

After deleting an entry with sudo efibootmgr -b 3 -B it is successfully removed, but then returns after a reboot. Why?

Hi Riquezjp,

Welcome to our forums.

Try the following after deleting the entry but before rebooting:

$ sudo update-grub

Thanks for this. As a fedora user I found this very helpful because it was completely accurate. I lost my boot manager entry for Fedora. The entry for firmware updates survived, and this is a fedora EFI boot option, so it comes from the Fedora EFI partition.

My drive is an nvme drive. My EFI partition was partition 1. I was a little unsure if my disk was /dev/nvme0 or /dev/nmve0n1; turns out it was the second option.

By comparing the new entry to the firmware update entry using efibootmgr -v, I could see that I had the same partition. The existing entry had a backslash before /EFI. It works with or without this leading backslash.

I can change the boot order, that’s good.
But how do you change the ordering displayed ?
It’s still the old order (visually when I boot up).