How to mount partition with ntfs file system and read write access - LinuxConfig.org

Purpose of this article is to provide to reader step by step guide, how to mount partition with NTFS file system on the Linux operating system. This article consists of two parts:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-mount-partition-with-ntfs-file-system-and-read-write-access

You can mount with read and write access without installing or using ntfs-3g like this:

mount -o rw,mount,rw -t ntfs /dev/sdc3 /mnt/ntfs/

Trevor

I get error. cannot find /mnt/ntfs in /etc/fstab

prwnd -> Trevor

fstab stores all the drives that will be mounted automatically during the boot.
If you ntfs drive is not set to be mounted automatically, then of course it is not in /etc/fstab.

Nice Post. Thanks for sharing good information.

I used this article to mount my NTFS formatted USB drive. It mounts read only.
I had cross compiled both ntfs-3g and fuse-2.7.1. Whereas I am able to cross compile ntfs-3g successfully, I have run through the below error while cross compiling FUSE for the same device and with same configuration option.
I used the configure option as

./configure --host=arm-linux CC already exported.

I got the below error

=== configuring in kernel (/home/abu/codebase/ntfs-3g/fuse-2.7.1/kernel)
configure: running /bin/bash ./configure ‘–prefix=/usr/local’ ‘–host=arm-linux’ ‘host_alias=arm-linux’ ‘CC=/opt/gcc-linaro-5.3-2016.02-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc’ --cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don’t use --host.
If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
checking for a BSD-compatible install… /usr/bin/install -c
checking kernel source directory… /usr/src/linux-headers-4.2.0-27-generic
checking kernel build directory… /usr/src/linux-headers-4.2.0-27-generic
checking kernel source version… Not found
Any help or pointer is highly appreciated.

Hi Abu_M_Muttalib,

Welcome to our forums.

What distribution and version do you run on this system?

Good to get a response from Forum.

Thanks Sandmann for your reply.

Ours is a customized Linux Distribution from TI. Our kernel version is 4.4.84. However the configure option by default picks up the system kernel version which is 4.2.0.27.

Regards and anticipation,
Abu.

This may be the cause of the problem. The error message suggests you should install the 4.2.0.27. kernel source, if you would like to compile with that, or change the default behavior of configure to use the 4.4.84. source, which your system running on (and in this case you should install that source). I would think the latter is the better way to go.

Hello,

as there is no way known to me to scan only a directory (GoG) for an error with Windows or chkdsk, can I ask you some thing:
From the above steps, what must I do farther to go from mounting the ntfs to the GoG directory and scan the whole directory in Linux to find the corrupt file or directory which make compres.exe to go BSOD ?

Is there any thing that you know which can help not to chkdsk /r for an 8TB with 6TB data to run for days?

The rest of the dir and files seem ok, compres.exe ran without errors.

Regards.

Hi Web,

I am afraid that’s not really possible. You see, a filesystem does not store files by directories, in fact, directories are just special entries that contain references to the files they contain. So if you suspect you have a filesystem corruption, you need to check the whole device (the whole partition, to be exact).

This may not solve your problem however, if a file is corrupted when written on the device (something that may happen with files downloaded directly from the Internet). In that case, there will be no filesystem error, and the file will still be corrupt (since the filesystem stores the data that was written into it - only the source data was corrupt to begin with). In this case, those who share files on the Internet in many case also include md5sum hashes to the files, so you can verify you downloaded the file successfully.

Thanks for the answer.
You all were SADLY right. I had to chkdsk the whole f.cking 8TB.
Seemed that THAT FILE were written on bad-sectros, or writting that file made those bad sectors. FYI it was "Terra Nova - Strike Force Centauri.
So there is a need for a filesystem with md5 hashing in WinDOOF.
Funny thing:
After that I installed TN-SFC again, and the same thing happend again!!
I moved the GoG to another 8TB and it installed.
Repeat: I had to chkdsk the whole f.cking 8TB.
Then I moved GoG back, and then it was ok.

No Bad sector nothing.
Very funny, I have a lot destroyed HDs by mere hardcore writting in my career but writting to the same Error… this is my first timer!

Regards

Fuck you chkdsk-programmer! Going that far and not beyond. You mother-sucker!