How to move /var directory to another partition - Linux Tutorials - Learn Linux Configuration

Your /var directory has filled up and you are left with with no free disk space available. This is a typical scenario which can be easily fixed by mounting your /var directory on different partition. Let’s get started by attaching new storage, partitioning and creating a desired file system. The exact steps may vary and are not part of this config article. Once ready obtain partition UUID of your new var partition eg. /dev/sdc1:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-move-var-directory-to-another-partition/

Hello, thank you for your guide, it worked very well for me. My only question is how to remove the old directory. It’s a virtual machine running on Vultr so I don’t have access to it to boot a live CD. Any other ideas?

This depends on your al /var/ directory? Was it on a separate partition? If not there is no need to remove anything anything. Need more details to provide additional help