How to setup printer on Manjaro Linux - LinuxConfig.org

Printing in Manjaro and the majority of other Linux distributions is handled through the CUPS system. After installing Manjaro Linux, setting up a printer is one of the first tasks that many users will need to tackle.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-setup-printer-on-manjaro-linux

I used HP for years, as they have the best Linux support. Yet the ink was expensive, the cartridges did not work correctly when inserted, and often emptied of all ink before I could get them working correctly. I switched to Brother printers, cheaper ink and no problem with cartridges, thought it prints a bit slower. Brother has self extracting tar balls that installs software and configures your printer for you. I couldn’t be happier and will never go back to HP.

“pamac install manjaro-printer”
bash: pmac: command not found

“simply navigate to …localhost:631/ in whichever web browser you’d like to use”
unable to connect

HP Device Manager
i haven’t used this yet, but it was preinstalled on my build. keeping my fingers crossed

hp has a relatively new ink program that gives you 15 free pages per month; or you can pay per ten sheets, and other ink volumes if you don’t want to purchase cartridges. the ship cartridges to you with a label to ship your used ones back. this might be an option if you have trouble with your printer because you get support with that program

technology has changed a lot; there are now inktank printers. i have an epson. it’s loud, but they go a long way before having to purchase new cartridges

but as far as reliable diehard printers are concerned, look at okidata. the only thing with them are they are bulky and heavy, and the cartridges they ship with may create a negative experience

I have a Canon MG5220, but the way I solved this problem (because it was not detected when trying to search for it automatically) was:

1. Get the IP of the printer (in my case I have DNS settings give it a single IP)
  2. Add it manually via the CUPS method above, but made sure to add it as LPD device with the URL lpd://[ip address]/queue

I did it that way and LPD seems to be the good old standard that works everywhere.