How to setup the rsync daemon on Linux - LinuxConfig.org

In a previous article we saw some basic examples of how to use rsync on Linux to transfer data efficiently. As we saw, to synchronize data with a remote machine we can use both a remote shell as ssh or the rsync daemon. In this article we will focus on the latter option, and we will see how to install and configure rsyncd on some of the most used Linux distributions.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-setup-the-rsync-daemon-on-linux

Hi, thank you for such helpful article.
I have a question. The command rsync rsync://server_ip displays all the available modules and the associated comments.
I configured a few rsync modules like this on my server:
[build]
path = /some/path
read only = no
uid = test
gid = test
comment = software Build area
Alongside the module names and comments how can I get the gids and the uids as well?
Thank you

Hi Mujeeb_Ur_Rehman,

Welcome to our forums.

I have browsed trough the man pages and I don’t think you can get that information from the remote, and it is so for security reasons. As an external client, you should not know about the internal user ownership of the files transferred by the daemon of the remote machine. But you can always write this information into the comment, which will be displayed.

Greetings!

The link to your previous article is incorrect:

Issue:
the URL is misspelled - there is a final “s” that was truncated somehow.

Unfortunately, I cannot post the corrected link, however if you go to the existing link and add an “s” at the end, it will work.

Thanks!