How to upgrade Debian 8 Jessie to Debian 9 Stretch - LinuxConfig.org

John Black

having said all of that while jessie was an amazing operating system stretch is even better. it has a very fast response. unfortunately the moderator has removed my post about how my upgrade progressed.

Lubos Rendek Mod -> John Black

Hi John,
Not removed just delayed!! My apologies for a delayed comment approval.

John Black -> Lubos Rendek

it works and it is great. thanks for everything.

now to make it work on a raspberry pi… hmm…

john

Lubos Rendek Mod -> John Black

Upgrading raspberry pi is exactly the same process. If unsure clone your system first with eg. dd for an easy recovery before you proceed.

John Black

mine stopped at:-
– Robert Luberda robert@debian.org Sat, 15 Apr 2017 00:11:27 +0200

ca-certificates (20161102) unstable; urgency=medium

Update Mozilla certificate authority bundle to version 2.9.

:
but then went on…
phew…
heart stopping moment.
dear developers we love you and we thank you for what you do
but please don’t do that again.

then i was only able to use the xcfe desktop sort of.
i was able to access the synaptic package manager
and so i did another update of the packages
which was difficult as i had to use the menus since the display was only half there.
and then guess what it upgraded everything again to even later versions.
and took as long again to do it.
but i was able to start the mate desktop and so all ended very well.

quite an adventure and certainly not for the faint hearted.

Skylar Ittner -> John Black

It was showing the changelogs with less, if you press Q it exits and continues with the upgrade. You could also use the arrow keys to scroll through the changes.

CieNTi

Thanks, it works like a charm

Jvandemerwe

Thank you, I’ve updated my server and your explanation worked without a flaw. I am running now on Debian 9. But I had no conversion of MySQL 5.6 to Mariadb and it is still accessible as before. No warnings either, it just works. Have I missed something?

Arjan Vlek -> Jvandemerwe

You probably ran the first apt upgrade command, but not the second apt dist-upgrade command afterwards, which contains mariadb and other updates as well.

For me, almost everything but the mariadb upgrade went successful. The mariadb server package failed to configure itself, but after I removed the /etc/MySQL folder I reinstalled it and this time it worked. I must have made a mistake to keep my old my.cnf file…

Syprianus Alexandro Kaharap

Yeah it’s work, hatur nuhun bro

Danlantic

I bookmarked this. I’ll come back to it when 9.2 comes out.

Tony J. Laukhin

Hi there, Thanks for this experience. Just upgraded my system to ver.9.

Nani Sunardi

i have web server with debian 8 jessie and database mysql also, it is any problem with database if ido upgrade to debian 9 ?

Nani SUnardi

i have web server with debian 8 and it is have database mysql also, is this compatible if i do upgrade to debian 9 scretch ?

Lubos Rendek Mod -> Nani SUnardi

You should have no problems! The system will update automatically to MariaDB. Just make sure to make a proper database backup before you proceed with an upgrade! That is all!

Mr. Heating

Works fine until the last apt-get dist-upgrade, it tells me that

(translated) systemd : Damages: rdnssd (< 1.0.1-5) but 1.0.1-1+deb8u1 must be installed

What can I do?

mathias foehr → Mr. Heating

I had exactly the same message: “rdnssd (< 1.0.1-5) but 1.0.1-1+deb8u1 must be installed”
at your own risk! I have disinstalled rdnssd (which is nasty because this is part of the networking infrastructure Debian -- Error ) and restarted: apt-get dist-upgrade
I did this because I have not been able to downgrade rdnssd to 1.0.1-1+deb8u1
But it works

Formbi

Congratulations to your fully upgraded Debian 9 Stretch Linux system.
GNU/Linux*

aiki

hi,
need apt-get update before apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade...

Je Cribbs

I just saved all my work and downloaded a dvd numero uno. I am so happy stretch is released!!