How to use special permissions: the setuid, setgid and sticky bits - LinuxConfig.org

An example of an executable with the setuid permission set is passwd, the utility we can use to change our login password. We can verify that by using the ls command:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-use-special-permissions-the-setuid-setgid-and-sticky-bits
1 Like

Nice article but when mentioning permissions you don’t mention anywhere that 7 stands for full permission and 5 for read and execute permissions

Thanks

Thank you.
If you notice, in the ‘Requirements’ section of the article is specified “Knowledge of the standard unix/linux permissions system”, so It’s assumed that the basic permissions are already known by the reader.

EgDoc, great article by the way. I’ve looked around on the internet for the last few hours to learn about the Linux basic permissions and I came across yours on this page. I’m glad I found it and have signed up. Will browse your site further to explore more and learn. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m really glad you found the tutorial useful, and thank you for your subscription!

Very useful and clear article, thank you very much! It helped me to tune the shared folder!