Howto mount USB drive in Linux - LinuxConfig.org

Mounting USB drive is no different than mounting USB stick or even a regular SATA drive. The video example below will illustrate the entire process of mounting USB drive on Linux system. To gain more understating read the subsequent paragraphs.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/howto-mount-usb-drive-in-linux

Eddie O’Connor

I’m having the problem where my USB external hard drive isn’t mounting at all. I get error messages stating something about NTFS?..I bought this and never formatted it. I assumed it was FAT…but somehow its’ now NTFS?..I have data on this drive that I would like to keep. But I have no idea how to get at it.

Myname Eddie -> O’Connor

By that i mean a Windows VM, since NTFS is a partition that, IIRC, only windows OS’es can read

Myname -> Eddie O’Connor

Try mounting it inside of a VM

Shosholoza

Thank you very much. This is so useful. Pls keep it up.

Capdeville

How in Ubuntu (for example) it mounted to /media/user_name/uid/ ?
It mean how it make a dir with UID of device and after umoun this device this dir is deleted? It making all via GDM?

abdel

thank you very helpful

Basil Williams

Thank you. I had some difficultly at first (Mint had already mounted the device elsewhere), but haven’t had a problem since I figured that out.

mwoosley

Hello everyone. This tutorial is great, albeit I get a -bash error: permission denied when I try to echo the file into the mounted directory. As root, I have the correct permissions (directory permissions of drwxr-xr-x). I just want to figure out what needs to change in order for me to place this file into the directory using the echo command. I’m sure its about permissions, but as I stated, to the best of my knowledge, it looks like I have the right values in place.

fstab -> mwoosley

You need drwxrw-rw-

mih

I get 2 errors on centos 7 mount:

mount: /dev/sdb is write-protected, mounting read-only
unknown filesystem type '(null)' 

…and the usb still doesn’t mount.

Frank

By far the most annoying think about this os. USB devices mysteriously all of the sudden can’t mount. Two days later after not touching said devices they mount without a hitch. What a joke.

Seee

worst example ever

Gary Fry -> Seee

… so you know better? Please share

Doug Lawson

A specific manual mount command would be: mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

When done: umount /mnt/sdb1

you should really add a warning to this tutorial. I can’t login to my raspberry pi anymore because it won’t boot. Something about the emergency mode but it won’t open a shell to change anything.
Probably something with the fstab file.

Hi…majority of current Linux distributions supports NTFS file system out of the box. To be more specific, support for NTFS file system is more feature of Linux kernel modules rather than Linux distributions. First verify if we have NTFS modules installed on our system.

Try this command ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb

Thanks for this! I found this article to be very helpful.

Hello ! i followed this article but now i cant get octoprint to work anymore. when i boot the drive up i get an error saying Cannot open access to console the root is locked after i added the init=/bin/sh in cmdlconsole.txt and reboot i get another error saying that "bin/sh: can’t access tty; job control turned off” !
Please give me any suggestions , i am new to linux and i can’t reinstall octoprint because i will lose all my setting until now!