Installation of Steam Client on Debian Jessie 8 Linux 64bit - LinuxConfig.org

This article describes an installation of the Valve Steam Linux client on Debian 8 Jessie 64bit. The article assumes that you have already installed your VGA drives required to run Steam client. Let's start with steam client download:
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/installation-of-steam-client-on-debian-jessie-8-linux-64bit

Rod Ch

I do not understand why my previous post needs moderation are you people THAT paranoid? there is nothing offensive in ANY language, nothing political, so what gives?

Lubos Rendek -> Rod Ch

Sorry about that. It is less time consuming to moderate preemptively as oppose to cleaning up once its too late…

Rod Ch

I tried installing steam client on my Raspberry pi3 and it goes through the motions and nothing…no errors, nada

James Hennigan -> Rod Ch

i dont think valve do a version of steam compiled for the ARM processors in the RPi’s and similar devices

gon ads

What is all this stuff? Why so difficult? can’t you just enter “Steam” in synaptic?

Ben

Hangs up for me at this point.

$
Running Steam on debian 8 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
/$

Jessie user

SOLVED on Jessie, thanks!

sufehmi

Hi, I have Debian stretch 64-bit, and I got error message when trying to install the i386 packages :

E: Package ‘libgl1-mesa-dri:i386’ has no installation candidate
E: Package ‘libgl1-mesa-glx:i386’ has no installation candidate
E: Package ‘libc6:i386’ has no installation candidate

Any ideas? Thanks.

sufehmi -> sufehmi

Turn out that Steam client really need several 32-bit packages.

Unfortunately, I’m using 64-bit only distro (PureOS, based on Debian stretch)

So it’s impossible to install Steam client for me.

Here’s hoping for 64-bit Steam client.

Антон Рыженко -> sufehmi

Did you add “contrib” and “non-free” to your repositories?

Vitaly -> sufehmi

Hey! I’ve got the same problem. Did you solve it?

sufehmi -> Vitaly

Unfortunately it’s a problem with my distro (PureOS based on debian stretch)

Robin Bröker

Worked for me on debian 8 - amd64! Thanks a lot! The Add-Architecture did it for me

Sangram Shivaji Desai

worked for me on debian 8

Harry Crocker

if you installed your graphics driver from jessie-backports, you probably want to install all of these packages from jessie-backports too, I tried without and ended up with lots of dependency errors.