Installing 18.04 upgrade packages "Bionic not responding"

During install of down loaded packages the Error Msg: “Bionic nor responding”

Hi, the information that you provided is insufficient.

1. Were you attempting to download and install upgrade packages or release upgrade packages?
  2. What command did you issue that triggered this error?
  3. What is the output of such command that triggered this error?

Troubleshooting

If you’re trying to upgrade the distribution (i.e. it’s still going to be Ubuntu 18.04 after the upgrade is complete), then follow these steps:

1. Select this command:

sudo apt-get clean ; sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get check ; sudo apt-get -f install ; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y ; sudo apt-get autoremove -y ; sudo apt-get clean

2. Press CtrlC to copy the command that you selected above.

3. Press CtrlAltT to open a new shell (i.e. “terminal emulator”) window.

4. Press CtrlShiftV (i.e. Ctrl:arrow_up:V) so the command that you copied is pasted on the shell window.

5. Press Enter, type your password and then press Enter again.

6. If such command outputs any error message, copy it and post it here.

If you’re trying to upgrade the release of the distribution (i.e. once the upgrade is complete, your distribution release 18.04 “Bionic Beaver” is going to be upgraded to a more recent release, such as Ubuntu 20.04 “Focal Fossa” or 22.04 “Jammy Jellyfish”, for example), then follow these steps:

1. Select this command:

sudo do-release-upgrade

2. Press CtrlC to copy the command that you selected above.

3. Press CtrlAltT to open a new shell (i.e. “terminal emulator”) window.

4. Press CtrlShiftV (i.e. Ctrl:arrow_up:V) so the command that you copied is pasted on the shell window.

5. Press Enter, type your password and then press Enter again.

6. If such command outputs any error message, copy it and post it here.

First My apologies for the limited data.
Second: Thanks for all of your input, it will be useful when I upgrade a second PC.
I was informed of the problem after it had already locked up the input interface. The keyboard was non-responsive, likewise the mouse had no impact. After some time another window appeared asking whether to cancel the upgrade or continue. There was no response to either selection.

@DaveY

I need to know the answer to these questions.

If you don’t know the answers because e.g. you did not execute any command, but instead the operating system suddenly showed a window in front of you and asked if you want to upgrade, then follow these steps in their exact order:

1. Execute the command sudo touch /forcefsck in order to force Ubuntu to perform a full disk check during the next boot (i.e. press CtrlAltT to open a new shell terminal window, then type sudo touch /forcefsck and press Enter, type your password and press Enter again). For security reasons, Ubuntu won’t show anything when you type your password, but what you press is going to be registered. If you think that you mistyped your password, press CtrlU and type your entire password again;

2. Follow the steps explained on my previous post to upgrade the OS (i.e. execute the command sudo apt-get clean ; sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get check ; sudo apt-get -f install ; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y ; sudo apt-get autoremove -y ; sudo apt-get clean);

3. Follow the steps explained on my previous post to upgrade the OS release (i.e. execute the command sudo do-release-upgrade);

4. Last but not least, execute the command sudo telinit 6 (it forces your computer to restart/reboot).

Everything should be back to normal after the restart/reboot.

If you can’t perform any of these tasks due to mouse and keyboard being unresponsive, either restart the computer, or alternatively power it off and then on again. Perform a hardware reset or a hardware power off, if necessary. If your computer is a laptop, you can perform a hardware power off by pressing and holding the power button :radio_button: down for about 5 seconds. Once your computer is on again, follow the 4 steps above.