Installing Linux MINT and partitioning harddrive

Transfered from Linux Config Disqus comments:

Question:

Hey, I’m new to this, I’m trying to install Linux MINT to my Compaq Presario which has already crashed with Windows Vista on it. I used UNetBootin on my USB flash drive, the laptop will let me run MINT but when I try to install it my root system isn’t defined.

So with that being said I’m trying to delete all partitions on my laptop and start fresh. How do I do that !?

Answer:

If you do not intent to have a dual boot ( windows and linux on the same box ) you may just simply remove all partitions on your hard drive and create new partitions just for Mint. From your question this appears to be exactly what you want. Therefore, you have two options:

• During the installation choose “Erase and use entire disk” from a installer dialog box. This will cause installer to remove all existing partitions and create new partitions for your new Linux System.

• The second option is not recommended for beginners as it will be user’s responsibility to delete and create new partitions. If you choose this options you need to create at least 2 partitions:

swap partition with 2 x size of your RAM. This is a common practice however you can choose any size.
    root partitions with mount point “/” and file-system such us ext3 or ext4.