Oracle Linux vs Red Hat (RHEL) - LinuxConfig.org

Oracle Linux and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) are well-known Linux distributions, often used in the business world. Each distro has their own pros and cons, differences, and similarities to the other.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/oracle-linux-vs-red-hat-rhel

Thanks for the tip about UEKs. I’d much rather seen a comparison to Archie, or Susie that uses a completely different boot-strap (not grub) Most RHEL users I know use centOS or knoppix rather than some convoluted version Fedora. The reason for that is not all RHEL is free even though it is open source. I’d like to see how some of the newer container Linux systems stack up considering I’ve seen my resources being hogged by new sandboxes. I’ve been exploring better ways to manage daemons rather than just killing them off. I guess by now you’ve figured out I’m using an older PC with limited resources. Not an enterprise system. :rocket: :ship:

I would go for OL all the way. I even run it on my laptop. Its free with all updates, even free virtualization OLVM similar to RHEV. Both OL and OLVM are included in the same license of OL.
Latest kernels and if you pay you got access to ksplice for online patching