Problem installing Eclipse

Hi all,

I’m currently trying to install “eclipse-cpp-2020-06-R-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz” onto Kubuntu 20.04 using the instructions given on “linuxconfig-dot-org-eclipse-ide-for-c-c-developers-installation-on-ubuntu-20-04”

However, I’m hitting a roadblock at step 3 (the eclipse archive is located in ~/Downloads):

"Extract the Eclipse package downloaded in the previous step. Here we assume that the package has been downloaded into the Downloads directory.

Extract the package into the /opt directory:

$ sudo tar xf eclipse-cpp-2020-6-R-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz -C /opt"

When I Copy, Paste, and execute the command shown above (to Konsole which is focussed on the ~/Downloads folder) the system displays the following:

$ sudo tar xf eclipse-cpp-2020-6-R-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz -C /opt
[sudo] password for kub:
tar: eclipse-cpp-2020-6-R-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Folder /opt does exist and is owned by root. The archive is 240.6 MiB, according to Dolphin so I haven’t erroneously saved just an HTML page.

Could someone please suggest where I have gone wrong and suggest a possible route forward ?
Thanks in advance,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Welcome to our forums.

From the error message you shared it appears that your archive is not in the directory where you execute the command, and/or it has a different name.

You can check your current directory with the pwd command, and list the files in it with the ls command to get the exact filename you’ll need to use with tar.