Recover data after adding a dual-boot

I was using Elementary, and an on-line wallet (Jaxx) to explore cryptocoins. While using Elementary I deposited most of my BitCoins into Jaxx. Then I decided to add Ubuntu 18 as a dual-boot. But something went south, and I ended up with only U 18, and seemingly no access to Elementary. And no access to my Jaxx wallet.
2 important facts here: 1) I did not back up my Jaxx data, thinking it was all in the cloud; 2) I don’t know diddly about Linux’ use of partitions.
Now in U8 I can log into Jaxx, but it shows that my accounts are all zero. Obviously my data was all kept on my hard disk within Elementary.
While googling this disaster I found reference to an app named “TestDisk”, but the info was dated to years ago, and I didn’t really understand it, anyway.
in short: Can any of you gurus help me to solve my problem? I’m hoping the Elementary data is still on my hard disk.

Hi Tomm,

The Jaxx home page features says that sensitive information regarding the wallet like your private key is indeed stored on your device, so if that’s wiped, it is bad news.

Let’s gather some information on the state of your disk(s) first.

1. Please describe the process you followed to create the dual-boot setup. There may be some hope that your original data is still available on disk.

2. Please post some data about your partitions. Let’s start with the output of the following:

fdisk -l

Which shows us the disks and partitions.
And also the output of:

mount

And finally:

df -h

So we can see what volumes can be seen, and how they build up.

First: Thank you very much for getting back to me. I’m so new to Linux/Ubuntu that it took this long to find out to take screenshots![Screenshot%20from%202018-10-17%2010-27-42|690x462]

!
Voila! #1 (I’m new, so may post only one pic)

And here’s the second pic. As you know, as a beginner, I may post only one pic at a time.

As you might recall, I’m trying to figure out how to boot the Elementary OS that was on the disk before I loaded Ubuntu 18.04, (hoping for a dual boot)
Again - thank you very much. Tom Markham

Hi Tomm,

My bad, I haven’t pointed out you need to run the fdisk command with sudo, like this:

$ sudo fdisk -l

It will ask for your password, and provide a list of disks if you typed it correctly. sudo is needed to run commands as the superuser, root.

The df command’s output is fine as it is.

Ta Da… first of 3

Tom Markham second installment of 3:

Tom Markham
And the third of three:

I followed your instructions and included the first of 4 screenshots. 1 for the fdisk and 3 for the other. They all showed up on the Linux Config Forum site. Were you not able to view them?

Hi Tomm,

The fdisk outputs are okay now as well. Please post the output of the

$ mount

command too, so we can see what volumes are mounted in your system, and where. You will not need sudo and password this time.

That /dev/mapper/sda5_crypt looks interesting, you had an encrypted volume maybe? Or set it with the new Ubuntu installation? Doesn’t seem to be mounted from the output of your df command.

hat looks interesting, you had an encrypted volume maybe? Or set it with the new Ubuntu installation? Doesn’t seem to be mounted from the output of your command.

I replied to your email. Should I only reply within the forum?
I had sent an additional 3 pics to answer the second part of your query $ mount.
I’ve never created an encrypted volume of anything anywhere. I’m hoping that because it’s encrypted, it’s the data within Elementary that I have - at temporarily - lost.
But… if it’s encrypted, how in hell am I ever going to de-crypt it?
Thank you again.
Tom

Hi Tomm,

The output of the mount can’t be seen, you are better off posting it here on the forum directly.
About the possibly encrypted volume, you should have a password for it that is asked for when the system is mounting the given volume. But the mentioned command’s output will tell if it is in use at the moment.

Since your system can handle only small pics, here’s the first of three screenshots of the “mount” command:

Here’s the second of the three screenshots from “mount”.

Here’s the third screenshot from “mount”

Screenshot%20from%202018-10-17%2011-13-39

I’m not sure the posts on the forum are accepting my 3 screenshots. I can see them on the forum, but not sure they actually arrive to where you can access them.

So… here they are as attachments: see "attached:

Tomm

I assume all 3 of the “mount” command screenshots are now visible.

It was supposed to by dual-boot, but obviously something went wrong. I did not erase anything that Elementary had put on this disk.
Assuming you can help me identify which of the various divisions of my disk is Elementary OS, and not my Ubuntu 18.04 version, how do I then set up my boot sequence so that I can boot the Elementary?
As usual, thank you very much. I do realize you’re helping other lost people too, and I sincerely appreciate your time and effort.
Tom Markham
I should mention that I’ll be out of reach from Wednesday until the following Monday, so don’t feel insulted if I can’t answer immediately after Tuesday.

Hi Tomm,

You posted the output of df -h and fdisk -l again, but the output of the plain

$ mount

is still missing. That would tell us what volumes are mounted by the Ubuntu system.

It should be something like this:
$ mount
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1944224k,nr_inodes=486056,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=395100k,mode=755)
/dev/sda2 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)
[…]

If you do have the partitions needed for Elementary OS intact, it should be only a matter of changing the grub settings. That is, if the Elementary OS is still bootable.

Again, I’ll have to send it in two pieces. Here is #1: