Set Up A Headless Deluge Server on Linux - LinuxConfig.org

There are tons of ways to manage torrents on Linux. Many of the available clients are excellent, but some have distinct advantages. If you're looking to manage large numbers of torrents and manage them over your network, Deluge is easily the best option.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/set-up-a-headless-deluge-server-on-linux

It looks like your adduser command is actually formatted with options for useradd which results in an error and confusion unless you already know what you did there.

So I think you can either go with:
useradd -r --home-dir /var/lib/deluge -g deluge deluge
or
adduser --system --home /var/lib/deluge --group deluge deluge

This doesn’t work for CentOS 8. I’m still looking for a working method to setup Deluge on CentOS 8

This is so rotten for Debian 10.5. Just wrong enough to send a person into hours of troubleshooting. Stay away.

1 Like

Either the tutorial is wrong or needs to me majorly tweaked for Armbian. I was able to get it working a hundred percent, so there’s that.

First, what elstupido said is correct. My solution looks different, so I’ll assume they did it better. I’m just a novice.

I set the Deluge directory up else where because it’s an Odroid HC2, a SoC system like a Raspberry Pi.

You’ll also have to allow the newly made Deluge account to be able to login if you want to run console from it, so

chsh -s /bin/bash deluge

needs to be run before

su deluge

Those were my main issues with this guide. The Install the Deluge Client part can be skipped depending on the OS you’re using. For windows or mac, you’ll just have to download their respective program and make sure the versions match between client and server. Armbian grabbed Deluge 1.3.15, which is good for me because 2.0.3 isn’t officially out for windows and mac.

At first I thought this comment was unfair since I’m not a novice linux user but… quickly I ran into problem after problem… most of it is a lack of clarity and silly mistakes… I’m happy for people making tutorials but please, give a little more time and effort in checking over your guide. This is not good. I should mention I’m installing on Debian 10 too.