Simple Virtualization With Ubuntu 16.04 and KVM - LinuxConfig.org

Sure, VirtualBox is a popular solution for quick and easy virtualization on Linux, but KVM can provide a more robust and efficient solution with minimal configuration. With the use of tools like Virt-Manager, it can be just as easy to use.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/simple-virtualization-with-ubuntu-16-04-and-kvm

Server Engineer

I have resolved the just by rebooting the machine …Great Tutorial …

Server Engineer

Hi i receive an error while applying command sudo brctl addif br0 wlp5s0
Error can’t add wlp5s0 to bridge br0: Operation not supported

Help me what do i do next…

ming

i have only one ethernet interface (ens2), could i make my machine as virtual host (for learning purpose)? i lost internet connection after i established bridge between br0 and ens2 with command “sudo brctl addif br0 ens2”. if there must be two interfaces, the blog chould make it clear in hardware requirement.

Wojciech Domalewski

And another typo

$ sudo gpasswd -a USER libvirt

Lubos Rendek -> Wojciech Domalewski

Hi Wojciech, thank you. Your comments will be review shortly.

Wojciech Domalewski

Hi. There is a small error in the text above :slight_smile: .

$ sudo addif br0 eth0 :slight_smile:

MoSes

Im using KVM/QEMU with vmm aswell since my host is a Ubuntu 16.04.
Nonetheless im not quite sure about the big differences in comparision with virtualbox. Could you name a few?

P

Under “Manual Bridged Networking”, “sudo addif br0 eth0” should be “sudo brctl addif br0 eth0”.

Julius Schwartzenberg

Why don’t you use virt-manager to configure the bridge as well? Does it work better with network-manager?

Jean-Francois Messier

I am not a VM expert for KVM, but can I import existing VMs, made, for example, with Virtual BOX or VMware ? If I can run my VMs with less bloatware and just the essential software, that would be great. I’m a newvie for KVM, although I use VMs under VMware for over 8 years…

Julius Schwartzenberg -> Jean-Francois Messier

You can use disk images from VirtualBox and VMware. You can also convert the disk images to qcow2. The virtual hardware is different though, so you need to reconfigure your guest OSs a bit sometimes. I’ve migrated from all sorts of VMs to KVM/QEMU without issues.