Things to do after installing Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

This guide will list for you some selected things to do after installing Ubuntu 18.04.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Amr Mondy:
Really you are awesome man thanks so much for this great things

Admir Efendic:
great list, thank you!

Leandd:
Excellent, thanks somuch

Shobha Durai:
Software repository updates not happening, after sudo ap-get update returns nothing,. Pls give the details to input in the /etc/apt/apt.conf file for 18.04 lts as the format of specifing proxies is different in other versions of Ubuntu.

LewTwo:
Excellent starting point. I am going to bookmark this.

One thing that you left out is resource sharing: disable or enable/configure

Lubos Rendek -> LewTwo:
Thank you for your comment and suggestion. File Sharing Setup section is now included. Hopefully this is what you meant by resource sharing. Any other comments or suggestions are welcome…!

Ean Lee:
This list is so helpful!! Thanks so much!

Excellent list, as others have said. One comment though: when running the command:

sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras

An in-terminal screen manager will appear asking you to accept the license, and it took me a while to figure out that the OK “button” won’t activate until you hit the tab key to select it, then enter key to accept it. At least that’s how I got past it. Clicking on it doesn’t seem to activate it.

1 Like

Thanks Stephen, I was about to reboot and give up.