Timestamps in logging files... future events?

This is very odd. The current local time is 8:45:30 am, Denver/America MST. I have log entries in /var/log/auth.log, /var/log/syslog and /var/log/daemon.log that are dated in the future of that date timestamp… to wit :slight_smile:

note that Aug 3 14:02:32 pm MST is
Aug 3 2:02:30 pm MST…

syslog:Aug 3 14:02:32 whirlpool anacron[4216]: Normal exit (0 jobs run)
syslog:Aug 3 14:02:32 whirlpool systemd[1]: anacron.timer: Adding 31.244387s random time.
syslog:Aug 3 14:05:01 whirlpool CRON[4259]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
syslog:Aug 3 14:15:01 whirlpool CRON[4469]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
syslog:Aug 3 14:17:01 whirlpool CRON[4523]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

the various system daemons that are reporting this information :slight_smile:
anacron
avahi-daemon
clamd
colord
dbus
dhclient
freshclam
kernel:
NetworkManager
nm-dispatcher:
org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper:
PackageKit:
sshd
su
systemd
systemd:(subsystems)
systemd-logind
systemd-resolved
systemd-udevd
wpa_supplicant

IPTABLES looks okay… no indication of intrusion, etc. just me logged in normally and as root…

Should I be concerned about this? Is this an indication of malicious activity? OR is this an indication of some software bug or DESIGN??? Curious mind would like to know.

Searching briefly on the 'net resulted in some related topics, but I haven’t looked through these results … just fyi…searching in duckduckgo with the following parameters ?q=unusual+date+timestamps+in+system+log+files+%2Fvar%2Flog%2F*.log&t=ffab&ia=images

My machine environment :
Linux Debian Jessie
zareason laptop
KDE/GNOME desktop
oh, and running a commercial VPN

anything else?

Hi Snookers,

That’s rather odd. Does your

$ date

Output also providing future date?
About configuration: what time sync service do you use? And to what timeservers do it point?