Ubuntu 20.04 GUI installation - LinuxConfig.org

In this tutorial you will learn how to install GUI ( graphical user interface ) on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa Server/Desktop
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/ubuntu-20-04-gui-installation

sudo apt install tasksel
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package tasksel

How to solve?
Tried sudo at update.

Hi Magi,

Welcome to our forums.

Try the following first:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

Let us know if that helps in solving the issue.

Thanks a lot.
All done

Hi,
I have an Ubuntu 20.04 installed on Amazon EC2.
I followed all the steps, but when restarting I can only access with ssh, and then the machine give me the usual line input interface.

How can I solve this problem and access using the GUI?

Thank you

Paolo

Hi Paolo,

Welcome to our forums.

What is the output of the following command on your system?

$ systemctl get-default

Hi, same issue as Paolo. (in amazon ubuntu 20.04lts)

systemctl get-default = > graphical.target

I read hundred of solutions but cant start with gui.

Thanks.

Emre.

Hi Emre,

Welcome to our forums.

I think there may be some misconception in place here. Connecting with ssh will always give you the command line interface by default, even if you are running in graphical mode (that’s how ssh works). I don’t have a machine in AWS, but you should have some sort of display access to your virtual machine trough the management interface of AWS (where you can start, stop, etc. your machine). If you are running in graphical mode, you should be able to run a graphical session from that remote virtual display.

If you would like to connect to a graphical session remotely (and not through the management interface), you may want to consider setting up a VNC server, in which case you don’t need to run in graphical.target mode at all. I would suggest to set the vnc server to listen only on localhost, and reach it through an ssh tunnel.

Many thanks, its done :+1: