Wired Unmanaged - Ubuntu desktop issue

I have installed a GNOME desktop on my Ubuntu 18.04 server. The installation went well, I can login and etc. However, some of the netwrok services/features do not work.

For example I’m unable to enable Remote Desktop most likely due to “No Networks selected for sharing” message. Furthermore, I’m unable to connect using the top right menu. I only get message “Wired Unmanaged” as shown below:

unmanaged-network-ubuntu-issue

Interestingly my host has IP address so I’m connected to LAN.

With Ubuntu 18.04 Canonical introduced new network management called Netplan. In nutshell Netplan allows to directly configure network and/or switch between two network configuration daemons networkd and NetworkManager. By default networkd is configured for Ubuntu Server and NetworkManager for Ubuntu Desktop.

Since you mentioned that you have installed GNOME desktop on your Ubuntu server chances are that your system is still using networkd daemon hence your desktop has no access to the network configuration. To grant managed access of your network to your desktop open /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml or /etc/netplan/50-cloud-init.yaml configuration file and change it:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# For more information, see netplan(5).
network:
  version: 2
  renderer: networkd
  ethernets:
    enp0s3:
      dhcp4: yes

TO:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# For more information, see netplan(5).
network:
  version: 2
  renderer: NetworkManager
  ethernets:
    enp0s3:
      dhcp4: yes

Once ready apply changes by executing:

$ sudo netplan apply

Related article: https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-configure-static-ip-address-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Hope this helps

Lubos

2 Likes

Your solution worked. Thanks

This helped me a lot, Thanks!

superb Got it
Thank you very much

Really spot on
`

Thanks very Much!.

Had the server reinstalled - running virtual - and attempted all changes on Network-Manager without success.

In my case file was not there so created with correct renderer then applied netplan.

Issue Fixed!

Hello, I’m using Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS for quite some time. However, my /etc/netplan folder is empty. I’m getting the same message.
unmanaged-network-ubuntu-issue

I installed netplan, but still this folder is empty. What should I do?

Thank you! That solved my issue as well…

I have pending this problem,please help

Hi Kalim,

Welcome to our forums.

At what state is your setup, you also see “wired unmanaged” at your top-right drop-down menu?

First of all Thank You so much!
Yes the same issue I am facing and I don’t know how to solve it…

Do you have a server setup with desktop installed later on? If so, you could try the above solution of configuring Netplan to use NetworkManager.

I have Ubuntu 20.04 LTS server installed, I have tried to use networkd and NetworkManager in its configuration file but still its not working.

Do you see any relevant error messages in the journal?

Hello, I am have this issue in ubuntu 22.04.
I upgraded from ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04lts. After the upgrade, there is internet and an IP address but I get this sign from the top right hand side showing the wired connection is unmanaged.

Using ip a, I could see my ip address as dhcp but would like to be able to set a static IP with the Ubuntu Desktop as well as other features such as RDP and VPN.

Can someone please help to resolve the unmanaged wired connection issue.

Thanks

Have you tried the following guide to set static IP on your Ubuntu box?

@Lubos your answer worked. I was soo happy when i saw that connection bar; Connected :grinning: after researching the whole day.
Thank you

3 Likes

As described in the initiating post for this thread, I too had installed Ubuntu Server, but V22.04. I then installed Gnome so I had a GUI to work with.
Eventually I noticed the Network Manager was not able to detect or configure my network interfaces. As networking, both wired and wireless were working, I scratched my head a bit and wondered what the heck was going on.
After much dithering around I found this thread and that was the solution to my issue. Network Manager now shows both my wired and wireless interfaces, and all appears to be just fine. To me it is satisfying to know exactly why this happened, and thanks to the explanation above, I now feel better informed and more in control.
Thanks for the help! And the teachable moment!

Thanks it helped :slight_smile:

1 Like