yt-dlp vs youtube-dl - Linux Tutorials - Learn Linux Configuration

It’s well known that videos are not nearly as easy to save from a website as things like images or text. Although web browsers do not feature a default way to save videos directly to our hard drive, open source projects like yt-dlp and youtube-dl fill this gap quite nicely.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/yt-dlp-vs-youtube-dl

youtube-dl has failed to correct the extremely slow youtube downloads for >half a year now.
Given that youtube-dl fail to fix good functionality for youtube it is kind of as if they WANT people to “discover” yt-dlp.

youtube-dl is unsupported now. It was in a race to defeat the obfuscation and misdirection of you tube, and it lost. I think the guy who wrote it gave up. He was a good guy and I corresponded with him about issues a few times, back when I was a pirate.

yt-dlp may be OK. But:
Exception: You are using an unsupported version of Python. Only Python versions 3.7 and above are supported by yt-dlp

Yes, I could upgrade python. I could upgrade the whole OS. You punks. The bogusity is obvious. If you don’t make your shit backward-compatible, you’re doing it wrong. I could upgrade to the version
of this or that what you want me to use, and it probably still wouldn’t work, because you are doing it wrong.