AMD Radeon Ubuntu 20.04 Driver Installation - LinuxConfig.org

AMD graphic cards are well supported on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa. The default open source AMD Radeon Driver is installed and enabled by default out of the box. However, since the Ubuntu 20.04 is a long term support (LTS) release the AMD Radeon graphic card users have few AMD Radeon driver installation options to their disposal.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/amd-radeon-ubuntu-20-04-driver-installation

How did you install the proprietary driver on 20.04? AMD’s just offering a “Radeon™ Software for Linux® Driver for Ubuntu 18.04.4 HWE” driver which quits its installation process with

ERROR: Unable to install amdgpu-pro-pin.
This driver may not support the running operating system.

AMD released Ubuntu 20.04 drivers. Please check it out.

Thank you. It help fix laggy wireless mouse on ryzen. But the performance of the vga display still same.

In my case, I had to go through several rounds of:

sudo su
./amdgpu-install --uninstall
./amdgpu-pro-install --uninstall
apt --purge autoremove
./amdgpu-pro-install --uninstall
apt --purge autoremove

Before I could successfully do:

sudo ./amdgpu-pro-install

I have seen this several times in the past too. There is also a bug in the script where even if you say ‘n’ and cancel on the installation, some packages will be kept and you will need to run the uninstall and purge first before you can re-install.

Always make sure the install completes succesfully and debug any errors seen before rebooting (or reboot may get stuck, and that is harder to troubleshoot).

Also, if you have a newer (or custom) kernel installed then what is supported by the amdgpu driver, things will break.

In that case, reinstall the latest standard Ubuntu kernel, remove newer/custom kernel, run the above full amdgpu driver uninstall and apt-get autoremove untill all is clear, reboot (absolutely required as otherwise your kernel list would be tainted and install of the amdgpu driver will fail), reinstall the amdgpu driver which should work now. Commands that may come in handy in this case (when you are trying to cleanup an newer (or older) kernel):

sudo update-grub
sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get --purge autoremove
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo dpkg -l | egrep -i --color 'linux-image|linux-headers'

And, note that kernels are stored in /boot and in /var/lib/dpkg/info. Use ls *kernel_version* to find right files.

Installing proper AMD driver resolved a strange system-hangs-for-few-seconds and unable-to-click-buttons-regularly issue on a system with three monitors.

Disclaimer; all info provided here as-is, without warranties of any kind.

1 Like

You need the 20.04 driver. Out now. Also, the amdgpu-pro-pin package gets installed even if the driver installation is aborted, so an ./amdgpu-pro-install --uninstall && apt --purge autoremove is required first.

When installing amdgpu-pro on PopOS (ubuntu derived os), I had to modify the install script at line 146 adding |pop.