AMD Radeon Ubuntu 20.04 Driver Installation - LinuxConfig.org

AMD graphic cards are well supported on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa. The default open source AMD Radeon Driver is installed and enabled by default out of the box. However, since the Ubuntu 20.04 is a long term support (LTS) release the AMD Radeon graphic card users have few AMD Radeon driver installation options to their disposal.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/amd-radeon-ubuntu-20-04-driver-installation

How did you install the proprietary driver on 20.04? AMD’s just offering a “Radeon™ Software for Linux® Driver for Ubuntu 18.04.4 HWE” driver which quits its installation process with

ERROR: Unable to install amdgpu-pro-pin.
This driver may not support the running operating system.

AMD released Ubuntu 20.04 drivers. Please check it out.

Thank you. It help fix laggy wireless mouse on ryzen. But the performance of the vga display still same.

In my case, I had to go through several rounds of:

sudo su
./amdgpu-install --uninstall
./amdgpu-pro-install --uninstall
apt --purge autoremove
./amdgpu-pro-install --uninstall
apt --purge autoremove

Before I could successfully do:

sudo ./amdgpu-pro-install

I have seen this several times in the past too. There is also a bug in the script where even if you say ‘n’ and cancel on the installation, some packages will be kept and you will need to run the uninstall and purge first before you can re-install.

Always make sure the install completes succesfully and debug any errors seen before rebooting (or reboot may get stuck, and that is harder to troubleshoot).

Also, if you have a newer (or custom) kernel installed then what is supported by the amdgpu driver, things will break.

In that case, reinstall the latest standard Ubuntu kernel, remove newer/custom kernel, run the above full amdgpu driver uninstall and apt-get autoremove untill all is clear, reboot (absolutely required as otherwise your kernel list would be tainted and install of the amdgpu driver will fail), reinstall the amdgpu driver which should work now. Commands that may come in handy in this case (when you are trying to cleanup an newer (or older) kernel):

sudo update-grub
sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get --purge autoremove
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo dpkg -l | egrep -i --color 'linux-image|linux-headers'

And, note that kernels are stored in /boot and in /var/lib/dpkg/info. Use ls *kernel_version* to find right files.

Installing proper AMD driver resolved a strange system-hangs-for-few-seconds and unable-to-click-buttons-regularly issue on a system with three monitors.

Disclaimer; all info provided here as-is, without warranties of any kind.

1 Like

You need the 20.04 driver. Out now. Also, the amdgpu-pro-pin package gets installed even if the driver installation is aborted, so an ./amdgpu-pro-install --uninstall && apt --purge autoremove is required first.

When installing amdgpu-pro on PopOS (ubuntu derived os), I had to modify the install script at line 146 adding |pop.

Ask here as AMD & Radeon is totally alien for me, as I’ve previously always had some form of nVidia or Intel.

Hopefully answering question is useful for others like me.

Would there be any notable gain of proprietary version for me,
if I have old and integrated: A8 6500 Radeon HD 8570D https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a8-series-apu-for-desktops/a8-6500-radeon-hd-8570d

There is latest official deb version available for 14.04, so presumably one should use buildable version. But this in turn would have unmet dependencies against required versions of supported kernel, xserver, etc ("... Supported versions are X.Org 6.9 or later, up to XServer 1.10 ...").

So the real question would be, how much of a point it would have messing with this - and taking risk on system stability.
Also in longrun while remaining on given 20.04 LTS for this PC (for superior stability).
In past I usually do not take any effort to hinder the system, unless I have actual proper graphics card, as with integrated Intel and nVidia has proven unworthy the dedication (Ubuntu have had good enough driver packed along for those).

Actually default driver works relatively well for general purpose usage. It’s real hit and miss with games though (equally with natives and wine/proton).

Why would I hope proprietary driver could improve experience:
Weirdly enough anti-alias and related technologies have issues on natives with exception of valve games while these features work on wine programs (some introduce artifacts though)?!
While I do not deal with any video/image editing, I’d predict those affect effects of those as well (image transformations, buggy slideshows, etc)

For example CS:GO, WarThunder and SuperLiminal, also FarmingSimulator #, Stronghold 2, steam’s DukeNukem3D and Rise of Nations had issues,
while Stronghold Crusader 2, Metro 2033: Last Light, Tomb Rider, Stanly Parable, EuroTruckSim, GA:Rome and all other games from Valve worked flawlessly. Dirt Rally, Human: Fall Flat, Spintires and Rising World work, but lagging or bugged.

List of tested games (and soft) goes way longer than previously counted for.

1 Like

Hi everyone. It’s been a while since I installed Ubuntu. My laptop model is Probook 4540S. When I ran glmark, the FPS of the Intel graphics card showed better than the AMD graphics card, and the game is like Counter 23 FPS, and in Windows it is 50 FPS. Why AMD is so weak in Linux. Can it be improved?

just fyi, the stock install fails with the following message, and no way to get out of it successfuly:
The following packages will be upgraded:
libudev1 udev
2 upgraded, 87 newly installed, 0 to remove and 179 not upgraded.
Need to get 2761 kB/106 MB of archives.
After this operation, 921 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Media change: please insert the disc labeled
‘Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS Focal Fossa - Release amd64 (20200731)’
in the drive ‘/cdrom/’ and press [Enter]
^C
why is it asking for a cdrom???

Hi Ivanix_Devon,

Welcome to our forums.

I think you may have your CD set as a local repository. You could try to comment out any line that points to the local media in /etc/apt/sources.list and see if the error persists.