Change hard drive's sleep/standby mode timer to reduce power consumption - LinuxConfig.org

Change hard drive's sleep/standby mode timer to reduce power consumption Depends on your system's usage and environment the time your hard drive is in idle state may wary. Every time a hard drive has nothing to do it waits certain period of time and then it enters sleep mode. To enter the sleep/standby mode, had drive has to park it's head and stops plate spin.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/change-hard-drive-s-sleep-standby-mode-timer-to-reduce-power-consumption

The instructions in this article did not work for me.

What did work was the following:

sudo hdparm --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing -S 0 /dev/sdb

Any failure to omit –yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing resulted in the command being ignored, which is not clearly identified (IMHO).

I have several tutorials of my own to offer, many of which are free.

Simply search for my name in Google to find a link to my personal website, which is where they are.

Graham Leach

Hi - I know this article in almost a year old by now, but I have a quick question.

I have enabled sleep on 3 data disks about three months ago.
Before going on a 14 days vacation I shut down the system (HPE Microserver Gen 10).
Now comming home, the disks do not spin up. At all.

I have tested the disks in another system (one by one) - disks still does not spin up.
The disks are Seagate EXOS X20. Model ST2000NM0072 with FW SN01.

Does anyone have an idea how to continue troubleshooting?

Best regards
Brian

Just a rough assumption:
I guess you activated standby mode (“-s 1”) … but your Microserver might not support to wake the disks.
Try “lsblk” if the disks are shown (although not spinning) simply turn off standby mode with the command “hdparm -s 0 --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing /dev/sda …”.
If “lsblk” does not reveal your disks, you need to go to another system, where the SATA controller supports initialising disks in standby …