Failed to download repository information - Warning/Error

It’s 20 question Larry again, I have another question.

Everytime I do the Software updater I get the following warning:

I hope that displays. Anyway, if it didn’t, it tells me it failed to connect to repository, check internet. I know I’m connected. However, after I dismoss the message…it tells me that updates are available, Do I want to install?
What’s up…Again, any help is appreciated.

Thank You

Can you please open up a terminal window, execute the following command and paste here the output?

$ sudo apt update

I did that, for the most part it was a success, This popped up frequently though:

N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Thank You,
Larry

That does not seem like an error. Any error messages in the output of the update command?

The only thing I could think that resembles an error, is:

N: Updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Are you on a metered connection? maybe proxy?
If you sure connection part is fine.
Try to checkout /etc/apt/sources.list

I have spectrum high speed, it’s not lightning link, but it is fast and unrestricted. When I do the internet speed test, it actually has better results than the desktop has. I originally had the same train of thought as yourself, but then realized it’s something else. Right after getting the failure to connect message, and I click okay…it will give me some updates. Every time, not just every now and again…so it is connected to the internet. Strange.

I did try the /etc/apt/sources.list command, with & without sudo. It prompts for password…then nothing. Any other tips will be welcomed.

Thank You

That’s not a command but a configuration file (which is a plain textfile). You can check it’s contents with a text editor, or simply print it to the terminal with cat:

$ sudo cat /etc/apt/sources.list

That brought up a couple pages of data, is there anything in particular I’m looking for?

Would it be better if I posted it?

Thank-You

Yes, show us the contents of the file, there may be some repository in it that experiences some problems.

deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Xenial Xerus - Release amd64 (20160420.1)]/ xenial main restricted

See UpgradeNotes - Community Help Wiki for how to upgrade to

newer versions of the distribution.

deb Index of /ubuntu eoan main restricted
deb-src Index of /ubuntu eoan multiverse main restricted universe #Added by software-properties
deb-src Index of /ubuntu xenial main restricted

Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the

distribution.

deb-src Index of /ubuntu xenial-updates main restricted

N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu

team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to

your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in

universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security

team.

deb Index of /ubuntu eoan universe
deb-src Index of /ubuntu xenial universe
deb-src Index of /ubuntu xenial-updates universe

N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu

team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to

your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in

multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu

security team.

deb Index of /ubuntu eoan multiverse
deb-src Index of /ubuntu xenial multiverse
deb-src Index of /ubuntu xenial-updates multiverse

N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as

extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes

newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.

Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review

or updates from the Ubuntu security team.

deb Index of /ubuntu eoan-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src Index of /ubuntu eoan-backports main restricted universe multiverse #Added by software-properties
deb-src Index of /ubuntu xenial-backports main restricted universe multiverse

Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical’s

‘partner’ repository.

This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by Canonical and the

respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu users.

deb Index of /ubuntu eoan partner
deb-src Index of /ubuntu eoan partner

deb Index of /ubuntu eoan-security main restricted
deb-src Index of /ubuntu eoan-security multiverse main restricted universe #Added by software-properties
deb-src Index of /ubuntu xenial-security main restricted
deb Index of /ubuntu eoan-security universe
deb-src Index of /ubuntu xenial-security universe
deb Index of /ubuntu eoan-security multiverse
deb-src Index of /ubuntu xenial-security multiverse
deb Index of /wine-builds/ubuntu artful main
deb-src Index of /wine-builds/ubuntu artful main
deb Index of /wine-builds/ubuntu disco main
deb-src Index of /wine-builds/ubuntu disco main

My first guess would be that the warnings arise because of the non-standard repositories, in your case, the wine repositories at the bottom of the list.

To test the theory, you can comment out all the lines containing winehq by adding a comment sign (a hashmark) to front of each of these lines. You can try the apt update command afterwards. If the warnings don’t reappear, we found the problem. So those lines should look like this:

#deb http://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ artful main
#deb-src http://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ artful main
#deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ disco main
#deb-src https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ disco main

By doing so you disable these software sources. You can enable them later.

You can edit the file with a text editor, like vi from the terminal, like this:

$ sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list

If you are not familiar yet with that editor, we have a vim tutorial to get you started.

Note: if you use the “preformatted text” in your post editor on this forum’s interface when you copy-paste, the markings do not get interpreted as commands by the forum engine, thus making such a configuration file’s contents more readable.

Thank You Sandmann

I think I understand that. I hate sounding like a burned put hippie from Woodstock ( my claim to fame, I was there…still have ticket stubs…$2.50 ).

I’m pretty comfortable with terminal line commands, and text editors. I do have problems understanding if I should format as a sudo command, or enter exactly as you put it in your reply.

I’m trying to understand as much as I can. My fiancee is in England right now, waiting on Brexit to get her passport and all renewed … A huge headache for her, as she can’t access bank accounts or anything. Once that is done, she’s flying here and I get to introduce her to Linux. She’s 100 percent British, and don’t do change well.

Always happy to help, but if you will force yourself read through the following linux commands tutorial you will be able to resolve most of your current issues yourself or at least provide better feedback to us hence receive the solution much faster.

I have it printed in my book, along with a pretty lengthy list of other commands. And a few I’m never to use… You know… CMA ( cover my a$$ ) in case I get bad info… Someone trying to be funny. But I have read/printed the tutorial out. I do better if I only do bits at a time.

One I really can’t get my head around though is “Bash” I have gone over it multiple times, just plain don’t understand any of it. It will click one day though… Just takes time.

Thank You,
Larry

Here’s an example, I posted a question earlier about a command line, this is it:

./Downloads/hplip-3.19.10.run

I understand only that the . indicates it’s to be a file within the same shell? Would that mean in the home directory? That’s what’s messing me up. I could find no reference to the “/” so the ./ together just confuse me more.

I understand the rest of it, where the file is saved in the Download directory, it’s named hplip-3.19.10.run, and it’s instructed to run. But the ./ prefix I just don’t understand.

I know… simple minds. But talk about being in a fog!

Hi Larry,

I detailed the start of your command in the terminal command thread you started.

I hope that makes it clear, but feel free to ask if further clarification needed.

Sandmann