Failure to install eclipse

I experienced failure with the instructions at (prefix I’m not allowed to use) ubuntu-20-04-eclipse-installation

On step 1, the response I got looked like this:

kevin@camelot-b:~$ sudo snap install eclipse --classic
error: cannot perform the following tasks:

• Setup snap “snapd” (16292) security profiles (cannot setup profiles for snap “snapd”: cannot create host snap-confine apparmor configuration: cannot reload snap-confine apparmor profile: cannot load apparmor profiles: exec: “apparmor_parser”: executable file not found in $PATH
    apparmor_parser output:
    )
    kevin@camelot-b:~$

I tried it as root and also by using sudo. Both failed in the same way.

BTW this was on Xubuntu. Does eclipse need Gnome??

++ kevin

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to our forums.

This error seem to be more related to apparmor than Eclipse itself, and no, Eclipse doesn’t need Gnome. Since it is a Java based application, it does not care much what GUI you are using, as long as you have a compatible jre in place.

The error message indicates you don’t have the apparmor_parser in your $PATH. You could start resolving this issue by checking if apparmor is installed properly, and where the binary in question is located. This is a sample output from one of my Ubuntu 20.04 machines:

$ dpkg -l | grep apparmor
ii  apparmor                                      2.13.3-7ubuntu5.1                                   amd64        user-space parser utility for AppArmor
ii  libapparmor-perl:amd64                        2.13.3-7ubuntu5.1                                   amd64        AppArmor library Perl bindings
ii  libapparmor1:amd64                            2.13.3-7ubuntu5.1                                   amd64        changehat AppArmor library
ii  libapparmor1:i386                             2.13.3-7ubuntu5.1                                   i386         changehat AppArmor library

The above shows that I got apparmor installed. To check where the binary is, I can execute the following:

$ which apparmor_parser 
/sbin/apparmor_parser

And since now I know where the binary is, I can check if /sbin is on my path or not:

$ echo "$PATH"
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin

And there it is (the 5th entry in the above example - entries are separated by colon). If you don’t have the binary’s directory on your path, you can add it temporary or permanently. We have a guide on modifying the $PATH environmental variable that might be of help with this procedure.