HDMI not working with Linux Mint (Asus TUF FX516PR 3070 Max-Q)

Hi there.

New to Linux, totally green.

I am having issues with getting Linux to boot the Nvidia driver upon start although it is installed.

The OS will simply not detect my HDMI monitor and the system reports show that the driver is not running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon v5.6.7
Kernel 5.15.0-60-generic

Regards Johningemac

I can’t reproduce your issue, but I know that Linux Mint has a loooooooong story of issues with HDMI monitors when the GPU is Nvidia. On the other hand, Ubuntu has worked this out. So I would recommend installing Ubuntu 22.04 (or XUbuntu 22.04, if you prefer a lightweight Debian-based Linux distro).

If you however can’t get rid of Mint or if you really really really want to use Mint so bad that replacing it for (X)Ubuntu is out the question, then you may try to troubleshoot this issue by either:

1. Disabling secure boot.
  2. Upgrading the kernel to a newer version (5.15 series or the newer 6.1 series, if available).
  3. Switching the NVidia driver: if you’re using the open-source, switch to the proprietary driver, and vice-versa.

Based on your computer specs, its GPU is Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070, whose proprietary Nvidia driver is the 525 series. Here are its latest releases:

• Version 525.89.02, released on February 8, 2023
  • Version 525.85.05, released on January 19, 2023
  • Version 525.78.01, released on January 5, 2023
  • Version 525.60.11, released on November 28, 2022

Your Mint distro likely has one of these (proprietary) releases available. If none works, try the open-source (a.k.a. xserver-xorg) version.

@Yuri thank you so much for sharing detial so help me.

1 Like

@Manuelgonzales De nada / You’re welcome. :vulcan_salute:t2: