How to change TTY console font size on Ubuntu 18.04 Server - LinuxConfig.org

The default TTY console font size on Ubuntu 18.04 Server may be not satisfactory in many cases. However, there is a simple way to increase or even decrease the font size on Ubuntu 18.04 TTY console by re-configuration of the console font and keymap setup program console-setup .
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-change-tty-console-font-size-on-ubuntu-18-04-server
1 Like

There are two problems with this:

1. on my screen, the font is suck that this entire menu is about 2 inches high and completely unreadable.
    it needs a command line option to magnify it (in powers of 2 to at least 16 times)

2. it is located bang in the middle of my LG screen - where it is hidden by a pop-up saying my screen does not support that resolution (Which it obviously does, in reality). There needs to be a command-line way to invoke a different resolution, AND a command-line way to put the menu in other parts of the (QHD) screen.

Once the GUI is working (ha, ha) you can move the greeter box out of the way of the pop-up to be able to login, and then, once logged in, you can select a resolution that works properly.

In the 1970’s the command line worked on CGA (320x240) screens! Its not 1970 any more, and people actually have QHD screens now. That does not mean that the command line is not needed with the GUI software collapses in a heap - because that still seems to happen a lot!

However, 320x240 is not useful at 400DPI - you get a picture that is less than one inch across.

GOD bless you. Your step by step explanation did help me a lot.